We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Extended Warranty problem

Bill.D

Likes # 0

Hi all, just over 3 years ago I bought a Samsung laptop from Laptops Direct together with a 3 year warranty for an extra £90. Just before the 3 years expired I had occasion to query a warranty issue only to be told the warranty does not exist because I did not register it. I have no knowledge of any such requirement, nothing in my paperwork makes any statements to this effect and I did not have any reminders that the warranty paid for had not been registered. My order acknowledgement clearly indicated receipt of the money for both laptop and warranty, no mention of the need to register the warranty. After several letters to Laptops Direct they just refuse point blank to refund the £90 just repeating that it is not their problem because I did not register it. Had I not made a warranty query I would have been non the wiser that my £90 was never used for the purpose intended. In effect they are just pocketing my £90 having had no costs of a warranty. Can they do this?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe they meen you never registered the Laptop.

Not sure how you stand legally the FE is well informed about subjects like this and he may be able to give you some good advice.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Most extended warranty's are underwritten by a third-party insurance company and you would have to register the warranty with them. If it was a manufactures extended warranty you would still had to register the purchase. I have always found a form to fax or post back whenever I have have bought white goods or computers.

Like this post
Bill.D

Likes # 0

There is no doubt that the warranty was not registered, my gripe is that regardless of whether this should have been done or not, Laptops Direct are aware of this and have just kept the money. I cannot prove that I did not have any paperwork any more than they can prove I did. What I can prove is that they received the money and that the paperwork I did have, acknowledging receipt, makes no mention of any requirement to register the warranty.
Thanks for your input so far and beware of falling into this trap.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...