We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ink Cartridge Labelling

AngelaPowers
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have noticed that it is very difficult to find the ink quantity listed on ink cartridges. When I wanted to purchase ink for my Canon MG5320 it was impossible to find the quantity of ink listed on the multi-pack. My understanding is that the cartridges in these packages contain less ink.

In any event, whether this is true or not I believe manufacturers are required to tell consumers the weight or quantity - otherwise how can we make informed buying decisions? I want to be able to compare or make certain through testing that manufacturers are not selling us products with less product in it than I think.

I was angry to see this and checked other manufacturers - it is the same with others.

I hope this is brought before regulators.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

To be honest the quantity of ink in a cartridge is irrelevant, because some printers use more ink per dot than others.

What's more important is having a standard way to measure how many pages a print cartridge can print.

Like this post
AngelaPowers

Likes # 0

I still want to know how much ink is in the cartridge. How can I calculate whether or not I am getting what I paid for - don't you have to divide the amount of ink by the amount of pages to get an accurate idea of whether or not you are getting your money's worth?

And if some cartridges for the same printer have less ink it stands to reason they will print less pages. One purchases a product expecting that each cartridge has the same amount of ink, if it doesn't and it doesn't say so that is fraud.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

AngelaPowers

I tend to agree with you.

There has always been a suggestion that cartridges supplied with new printers contain less ink BUT there is no way of finding out and do the larger cartridges sold by some manufacturers actually represent good value for money?

Like this post  
AngelaPowers

Likes # 0

If I'm told the butter I"m purchasing will spread over 20 loaves by Alan and Pine Man it doesn't help any of us a bit to know how much I will use. Alan might put just a skim of butter on his bread, Pine Man might slather his with a staggering amount - the only way I can know I'm not being cheated out of the amount of butter I'm paying for is to have a standard measure (weight or volume) posted on the box.

I think not posting the volume is a scam and should be illegal - perhaps it is already.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

AngelaPowers

You're not the first to ponder this, and you won't be the last, but trying to compare cartridge prices and ink volumes across brands is a problem that's as intractable as the planet's three main religions all fighting over the way they worship the same imaginary friend.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I know it does not answer your question directly, however you can use this as a comparison

Terry

http://www.cartridgesave.co.uk/ink-cartridges/Canon/Pixma-MG5320.html

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

maybe you might be better of finding ink cart suppliers and comparing prices, try you tube there is one supplier called refresh cartridges refresh

where they offer a postal service, you send the old cartridges back and they refill them and send them back to you, its cost less than when you would pay in the shops or online if pay for new carts even if they compatible cartridges

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The major printer manufacturers have signed up to ISO/IEC 24711 and 24712 which is an agreed yield for for ink cartridges. This indicates how many pages under the test circumstances you should get. Epson have a web page giving the yield for all of their cartridges. This indicates that the larger cartridges do give value for money.

Why don't you weigh them for comparison purposes?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also, if , for example, you print photos in "best" mode you will "spread more butter" than if in standard mode. I use my Canon MP640 for printing only a few photos as it is cheaper to put snapshot type ones on a SD card and print at ASDA. I have 2 BK and separate C,Y,R cartridges and you do get a rudimentary indication of what is left in the printer info.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

AngelaPowers

The questions you have asked have been asked of the cartridge makers for years and I agree that their current efforts at informing users are pretty weak at best.

I tok the view some time ago that I wanted more so I bought a simple CISS system and when it needs filling which is seldom I know exactly how many cc I am putting in and how many cc's are in the bottles of ink I buy. This system has paid for itself many times over during the past 3 years as I do a lot of colour photo printing. I recommend it to you and hope your printer will have a system which is compatabl;e with it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014