We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New premium rate text scam revealed

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Thought it worthwhile to inform consumers of another 'nasty' that could cost them excess money. TC. beware!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

TopCat®

The wife got a phone call from the docters surgery this morning just updating her address and phone numbers.

Thought it a bit funny when they asked for her mobile number and if she wanted a text message sent to remind her the date of her appointments.

Probably nothing to do with the mobile problem but will go down to the doctors tomorrow to check it out.

The doctors used to have an 0448 number and got rid of it because of all of the complaints this is probably an other way of making cash for them.

Even if it is legit I will cancel the text message just in case.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Thought it a bit funny when they asked for her mobile number and if she wanted a text message sent to remind her the date of her appointments."

This is a common method of reminding people about appointments, it's used by many doctors and dentists. My dentist has been doing it for several years.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Just wondering if it could be a ladies first scenario as they never phoned me with the same offer.

I know that you can book an appointment on line now.At least I think that they have started it.

But never knew about the text messages.

What made it a bit iffy for me was it is almost impossible to phone them to get an appointment with your own doctor. And to get a phone call from them was just about unheard of since we moved in here 35 years ago.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

My dentist took my mobile number when I registered and I get a text with their number a few days before asking to phone and confirm the appointment is still required.

Like this post  
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

My doctor and dentist both use the text system for reminders or for when (if) you are waiting for results to call for an appointment.

No problems at all- just more convienent.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Another scam you might fall for is when you are called and you are asked to press a key to speak to someone (or get get more info)- you are connected (from your phone line) to a premium number.

Also when you want to check a number(on your land line) and you dial 1471 to get the number, if you press 3 -as requested- you are charged at a much higher rate than standard.

Terry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...