We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

which laptop should i choose?

subzeroblu

Likes # 0

My Dell Studio 1555 just died and i needed to replace it.

I was unsure between a few laptops all within the same price range and wanted to know which one was best.

Asus 53SC-SX038V

Samsung NP 300E5A-S05GR

HP Pavilion A2U25EA

HP G6-1201EV

or

Toshiba SAT C660

By what i've seen the best 2 options are the ASUS and SAMSUNG. Laptop would be used primarily for work (lagal, so spreadsheets, word, powerpoint etc) as well as gaming (nothing too fancy, mostly games like GTA IV / V, and somewhat newer games 2011 and earlier). so i guess graphics card and processor count..

Also battery life and cooling is very important. I noticed that apparently the ASOS remains cool even after extreme use, while the others tend to over heat. One last factor is built materials, the ASUS is aluminum, but if the contents are inferiro i am willing to overlook.

Given they all cost pretty much the same, which would you suggest?

Thank you very much for any help

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from the Business forum.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The limiting factor is always GAMING. Many games either won't run on "integrated" graphics, or only run at minimum settings. On the other hand, you can spend a fortune on a so called "gaming laptop" which will have performance you will never use, and runs like a furnace. I would suggest you "check out" the system requirements, on a couple of games, you would like to run, and use this to guide your choice of "graphics".

It terms of the options you give, my initial thoughts would be Asus, or Toshiba. Both have good build and reputation. I have just replaced my old Samsung (admittedly a different model). In general, it was very reliable, but the battery life was pathetic, when I got it, and only got worse. Of course, that may just have been the "one I had". I don't have any personal knowledge of the HP's, but, as a company, I think they tend to get mixed reviews.

There are several different configurations of the Toshiba listed, and I did a quick check on the Asus site, which does not list your exact configuration. If you could give a link, or confirm the site you are looking at these on, no doubt I, or someone, could give more specific advice.

Like this post
subzeroblu

Likes # 0

well the specs are the same apert from the processor where on the asus its i5 2410m the samsung is i5 2430m, is that a huge diff?

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

The 2430 is about 3% faster, but you'd be hard pressed to notice that! I have heard that the integrated graphics on the 2410 is very slightly better, but I don't know that, for a fact.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Complete guide to iPhone and iPad settings: Get to know iOS 8 Settings UPDATED