We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what to look for in a new tv please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

our tv is close to being kaput an old box style sony. we may be soon be buying a new tv. one of those flat screen hd ones. being a dinosaur know nothing about them.

do not want 3d, but looking for good picture that does not blur on movement. freeview hd built in, and 2 or 3 scart sockets.

what else do i need to look for when checking tv's please will not be sticking with sony.

Like this post
ßeta

Likes # 0

Humm. To update Sky Box to HD = £60. To buy converter = £60 +. Which would I choose. ???

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

bets ...........still thinking about sky hd box as well £60 to upgrade the box they ramp up the monthly bill to which i thought was a cheek.

watched freeview hd bbc1 etc then none hd bbc1 channel on sky find it hard to see any improvement both very sharp pictures.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Took my brother shopping yesterday for a TV I think his old one appeared in the antiques Road show last week.

To get to his price range we were looking at 32" models around about £350 had a look in Currys which has a good supply of TV.s and then went to the argos discount warehouse.

He picked up a Bush 40" Tv for £229 and he was well chuffed.Saved about £120 by not buying the 32" one.

It has 2 HDMI ports on it and good enough for what he wants.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

buteman

we did the round of stores, tesco,pcworld etc do not seem too bothered about tuning the tv sets to look good. only the smaller shops like richer sounds, sony and panasonic centres take the time to tune the picture.

one point found is that a 42 inch tv in the store looks a lot smaller in the store with 50 inch ones nearby. when we had it delivered it seemed massive. very pleased with tv except the wifi saga already mentioned. decided against the hd sky box cannot see any difference and the only extra channel that would please me is eurosport hd which is not worth the price of upgrade and monthly payments perhaps sky might drop this hd prices as hd gets popular.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I must admit when we got our first 42" TV it looked massive compared to the one we had.

The wife keeps eyeing up the 50" ones nowadays.

Wonder what size TV's they will have in the future.

I must admit we get really good pictures on our LG 42" TV so not sure whether HD would make that much difference.

If I understand correctly as I am with Virginmedia I need a receiver box with a HDMI port on it to connect to the TV to get HD pictures.

I have one of the old boxes without HDMI connection so that sort of rules that out.

The daughter gets HD pictures and I must admit I can see no difference in picture quality it all looks the same to me.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days