We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what to look for in a new tv please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

our tv is close to being kaput an old box style sony. we may be soon be buying a new tv. one of those flat screen hd ones. being a dinosaur know nothing about them.

do not want 3d, but looking for good picture that does not blur on movement. freeview hd built in, and 2 or 3 scart sockets.

what else do i need to look for when checking tv's please will not be sticking with sony.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

caccy

should have been delivered today, now tomorrow after i sat in all day. in the shop they look small next to the 50" tv sets, not till you get home and measure up the size sinks in. We will keep our basic sky box for now and use the free built in freeview hd which i think is just bbc1-ch5, not sure if the tv has built in freestat as most of the tv set had this, not sure on the internet gizmos got lost on this in the store more so after looking at so many.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

If you live in a Freeview area you sould get over 100 channels. To check put in your post code on this link

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the tv arrived but to get the wifi internet functions have to pay £60 for a bit to fix on the rear, panasonic never said this at time of sale when describing the functions, the tv had a sticker smart viera no mention of extra cost, not an important point but its the principle, feel as if had over, otherwise tv very good. was hoping to view youtube on it thats why we chose this model.

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Check to see if you can hardwire it to your modem/router.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

caccy

just read the booklet, the wifi bit is an optional extra that seems to be a usb type of dongle [costs £60] which are not available at present in the uk for a few months. do not want to hard wire as router on opp cornor of lounge and a doorway in the middle.

still using basic skybox most channels look like high def, not sure if its worth paying £60 for a sky hd box.

tv had no scart sockets which i find amazing, but the delivery lad used an adapter that came with the tv and a rf lead so skybox and video/dvd player work ok, he tuned the tv a treat.

not had a chance to play around yet, so far well impress except the wifi saga.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

HDMI is becoming the norm to connect devices to new TV. If the Sky box has no HDMI, you could consider a converter so you would have SCART out of sky and HDMI in to TV: Converter

Also if you have 100 or so Freeview channels, do you need sky?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john

will look for the converter, need sky i like eurosport and the doc channels

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

Only trouble is that it limits you to 720p connection so you would not see benefit of HD. I would use Freeview to watch most things and Sky as you wish.I would have a word with the shop about this,but may be worth upgrading to Sky+ if it has HDMI connection, and HD broadcasts.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john thanks for that tip its a 1080p tv i made sure of that. did not know the leads drop to 720 if not hdmi. hard to tell difference from a good pic to the hd, the pic i have now is excellent like looking through an open window to people rather than a tv. cost of tv cleared me out cannot afford another £60 to change box for a little while.

its a pity freeview ch5 has no hd would have been handy for tonights boxing at 10pm to try out.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

To check when and what Freeview HD channels are at or coming to your area have a look here Freeview

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK