We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what to look for in a new tv please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

our tv is close to being kaput an old box style sony. we may be soon be buying a new tv. one of those flat screen hd ones. being a dinosaur know nothing about them.

do not want 3d, but looking for good picture that does not blur on movement. freeview hd built in, and 2 or 3 scart sockets.

what else do i need to look for when checking tv's please will not be sticking with sony.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I was just doing a P.S. to my earlier post, and spotted Buteman had already made the point, but I'll reiterate it. Glass TV stands are OK, but a total dust magnet. I think it's something to do with the static created around a TV. I had one, and when we moved, I left it for the new people, and got a wooden one.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

sunnystaines if you are looking for a new TV then give this site a visitwhat hifi I can recommend Samsung as I have one of their LED TV's and the picture quality is very good, especially in HD.

Blue Ray has never really been the hit that every one thought it would be and now more interest is in on demand TV.

You have to think of not what you want now but of what you may need in the next couple of years, and one of those things you could need is an internet ready TV.

You may consider changing your broadband from TalkTalk to Sky in which case then internet TV is very good with the amount of choice you have and able to watch nearly everything you want when you want without adverts.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

thanks everyone from links provided it looks like a samsung, will look for full hd not hd ready,and a hd freebox included in the build, and will need to swap my sky box for hd skybox.

looked in tesco which had loads on display most had dreadful picture, only a few of the samsungs had a good screen.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

Don't choose from a Tesco display! You are making a decent investment in an important product so look at somewhere they display TV's in a quasi domestic environment. Most retail outlets set their TV's to 'Vivid' to counteract bright lights so look at some in more normal domestic conditions. Personally I like Richer Sounds for (i) demo conditions (ii) competitive prices (iii) 5 year warranty for 10% of the purchase price.

As you have Sky then you might decide to pay the additional for their HD channels. If you obtain a Sky+HD box then you will be able to receive BBC1/ITV1 HD for free but ITV2/3/4 HD are behind the Sky paywall (along with dozens of others!).

LCD TV's are the most popular with consumers. LED TV's are simply LCD TV's that use LED for back illumination (LCD's use fluorescent backlighting). Plasma can run rather hot but do have a following (some include a fan to cool the TV).

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with dms_05. Do look at Richer Sounds and John Lewis (who I think offer "free" 5 year guarantees.)

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john & dms thanks had forgotton about them

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I replaced my TV about a year ago due to bad colouring on screen.

After some research I selected a Samsung for the following reasons:

1-- Built in Freeview

2--Slim build with a sturdy base (Always try the 'Rock' the TV in the showroom to see how firm it is.- If the kids knock it will it fall over?.

3--Good screen display with options to:

Increase the 'Blackness' of back ground

Set screen brightness by presets or do it manually

LCD screen (could have had plasma, but not a lot of difference for the price.)

3 HDMI slots. 2 Scart sockets.

Port to plug computer in.

Port to Plug in USB thumb drive (copy film from Computer to USB - plug in and go.

Options to use Phono plugs for connecting devices also s-video cable

and last but most important-- A remote control that was easy to use with large buttons clearly marked.

Terry

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

terry thanks for feedback

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

going to get a panasonic LED the TXL42E5B has a good pic, freeview hd too plus a few other techno bits which were internet related also 5 year warranty the plasmas only had 12 months which gave the impression they do not trust them to last.

thanks for all the help everyone

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

sunnystaines We have the 32" version and are very happy with it. The sound is marginally better that our 2 Samsung sets. It will also record (SD or HD) to an external USB hard drive via the EPG but as it only has one tuner you cannot watch one station and record another. I believe the user manual is available on Panasonic's web site if you want to check up on anything before buying.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)