We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what to look for in a new tv please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

our tv is close to being kaput an old box style sony. we may be soon be buying a new tv. one of those flat screen hd ones. being a dinosaur know nothing about them.

do not want 3d, but looking for good picture that does not blur on movement. freeview hd built in, and 2 or 3 scart sockets.

what else do i need to look for when checking tv's please will not be sticking with sony.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

It's when you get above 37" that you've got to start really thinking about specs, and there starts to be a greater diiference between the good ones, and the not quite so good.

No one has mentioned LED. If you want to use blu-ray, and get the most out of it, it's worth paying a bit extra for, over LCD. Having said that, I've got an LCD 32" LG, and the picture is very good, even after about 4 years.

What some of the modern "ultra thin" TVs seem to compromise on is sound quality. Personally, I like LGs, but Samsung seem to be the best rated, at the moment, but that seems to go in cycles. Sony and Panasonic used to be the best, but I think they've gone down a bit, lately.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think John Lewis offers a 5 year guarantee; worth a thought.I agree re LED.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I have a Sony 40" LCD TV with built in Freeview HD tuner. I also have Sky HD. The quality of the picture seems about the same on the two systems (when comparing BBC1 HD and ITV1 HD). The TV also has built in BBC iPlayer and we do use that sometimes as well as Sky Anytime+, these take about 1 GB of bandwidth for each hour of HD. The advantage of Sky is their Broadband has unlimited bandwidth so no worry if you watch all your TV over the Internet.

The difference between Freeview and Freesat are marginal at this time. Freesat was invented to allow those unable to view Freeview after Digital Switch Over the opportunity to receive HD and the wide selection of SD.

Satellite is likely to have more HD channels long term as it has massive bandwidth whereas Freeview seems limited to 4 or 5 HD channels. For example Sky already broadcast over 50 HD channels.

So choose the system most suitable to you.

One thing to remember is the only way to watch HD from external sources is to use HDMI cables. If you use SCART then everything will be in SD. However as DVD is only SD then that isn't really a problem - you would need Blu-ray discs on a Blu-ray player for HD.

Whatever you decide the rule of thumb is below 37" screen size its quite difficult to tell the difference between HD and SD at normal viewing distances. Above that the difference is very easily seen!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just had a look in my local Argos discount warehouse and they have a Panasonic Plasma 42" Viera TV for sale at £399.99.never had a plasma before but thought the price was good.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Samsung from there spring deals at the argos shop.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5298556.htm?mvt=HP1_main1a

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

buteman thanks for link. we have a normal skybox does it get changed to skyplus or sky hd. looks like hdmi has replaced scart sockets.

i see tv stands are now extra and no longer come with the tv.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

If you've got a Skybox, you've effectively already got Freesat, in that. At the end of the contract period, that is yours (and your responsibility). You can upgrade to HD+ box, usually for a small one off fee, about £50, but it does vary with special offers, and it does, I presume, lock you into a new contract period.

TV stands vary hugely in price, and depend on the size of TV. TV's are one of the few things I would recommend the likes of Currys and Comet for, plus they will often, vitually, give away a stand, with a telly, as a special offer. Do your research first. I wouldn't, necessarily, rely on their salesmen for tech advice.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

2 Hdmi sockets on that one and just the 1 scart socket and 1 usb port.

I suppose it depends what you are looking for and what you are willing to pay I usually go for the good TV's at a cheap price.

I don't need any fancy gadgets on them as my wife usually has the remote glued to her hand and will not part with it.

You can get HDMI Cables out of e-buyer for £2 odds and have been told that there is not much difference from them and the gold plated ones except the price.

Sorry but I don't know anything about Sky Boxes as I have never used one.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Probably you will pick up a TV table for about £60 probably cheaper if you shop around.

Forgot to mention as the TV's are black and the table will probably be black they are a magnet for dust especially noticeable when the sun shines on them.

Some tables from Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500002951&langId=-1&searchTerms=TV+STANDS

If I remember right I got my TV from Argos and my TV stand from Currys.Pays to shop around.

Like this post
Zurdo

Likes # 0

Have a look here...........enter link description here I have the 40" Samsung UE40D5520 and am well pleased. I got it from John Lewis as they offer a "free" 5 year guarantee. Haven't checked to see if it is still available though.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback