We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what to look for in a new tv please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

our tv is close to being kaput an old box style sony. we may be soon be buying a new tv. one of those flat screen hd ones. being a dinosaur know nothing about them.

do not want 3d, but looking for good picture that does not blur on movement. freeview hd built in, and 2 or 3 scart sockets.

what else do i need to look for when checking tv's please will not be sticking with sony.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Do you know what sort of screen size you are looking for, and what sort of budget?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think the 3 top brands at the moment are LG, Samsung and Panasonic (but the latter seemed to have lagged recently as they , IMHO over relied on plasma. This may be worth a read:

LCD vs LED

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think the 3 top brands at the moment are LG, Samsung and Panasonic (but the latter seemed to have lagged recently as they , IMHO over relied on plasma. This may be worth a read:

LCD vs LED

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think the 3 top brands at the moment are LG, Samsung and Panasonic (but the latter seemed to have lagged recently as they , IMHO over relied on plasma). This may be worth a read:

LCD vs LED

My wife does not like heavy shiny black frames; I am looking at LG as they have some very slim frames. I would have 1080p with built in Freeview. Some have both Freeview and Freesat tuners. As well as SCART I would have a few HDMI sockets for connecting to things like Blue Ray at a later date.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry ,I accidentally posted too early!

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john thanks for the info [had trouble replying getting error long running script on pca site] i know about freeview but what is freestat does it provide extra channels that freeview does not. i was thinking about panasonic do they do LCD I think plasma is another betamax.

a headphone socket would be hany if they still do them, I have a hdmi lead but no blue ray player. no sure what i could plug into this socket.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

john just spent some time reading your link etc, thanks found out some useful info, got LED to think about now too.

not sure i will need internet on a tv we have a laptop, plus watching tv on the internet on the tv may use up our talktalk monthly quota.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Most stores you can choose a black one or another black one or another black one.

Sony is one of the few that still sell ones with a grey surround.

LG seems to be very popular maybe because they come at a nice price and nice looking with good picture.

Whatever you choose write down the Model number then search for the cheapest one.

If buying from the Internet look for coupon codes for whoever you are going to buy from as you can usually get a 7% discount for some.

Argos have a sale of TV's just now so worth a look.

Bank holiday coming up shortly so there will be a few bargains to be had.

I would agree with john bunyan's selection for the top 3.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

sunnystaines

If your area is ok for Freeview, I think that's fine. I would get one with a Freeview HD tuner as more and more programmes will be on Freeview HD and for future proofing and to save having to get an extra box I would have the HD Freeview tuner. I think for the average viewer LCD is better than Plasma. Most sets have HDMI now; maybe you want / have a DVD recorder ? Also sound is the worst feature of TV's these days and you may eventually want a sound system, however modest. At the monent I would narrow the choice to LG and Samsung as although in the past Panasonic has been most reliable, I think the others are ahead with LCD

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

buteman & john

thanks again for the advice, we are holding on at the moment but no idea how long for the tv makes a crackling noise as if turn off/on in a micro second and varous halos and coulour bleeds.

had never considered LG had always considered them a cheap budget make, will now include when we look around we have tesco/pcworld/panasonic store all with large store displays but i did not want the salesman selling me a load of junk i will want a good picture so i will have to learn all about the spec phrases etc with whats good and not so good.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen