We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Speed Upgrade

rdave13
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having been used to 3 meg downlod speeds for many years I was surprised to see my profile jump to 6 meg. Living in a rural town in north Wales I never thought this would happen. I'm about a mile and a quarter away from the exchange, BT phone line and Plusnet my ISP. Anyone else had similar? This is my download speed. http://www.speedtest.net/result/1853779219.png Is this to do with the ISP's supplier or BT upgrading lines? Anyway a nice change from the usual problems you can get with BB.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

rdave13 I have been with Pipex for about 20 years. They used to be a big multinational plc supplier. Over the years there have been takeovers, the latest being by Talk Talk. I had big spam problems a couple of years ago, and they eventually solved that. For a long time (I am on up to 8mbps) I got about 4 -5, with occasional lapses to under 1. For quite a few months now I have been getting 8 - 10 mbps. I suspect my local exchange has become ADSL2 enabled. You can check if your exchange is ADSL2 enabled (Google as I cannot lay my hands on the link)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Here is one:

ADSL2+ - BT exchanges

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Far bettr as it is Plus nets one!

BT Exchange info - Plusnet

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Thanks for that but my exchange is not ADSL2 yet. The location I live at makes me think, sadly, it will be a few more years yet before that happens.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another reason may be, and this happened to me a while ago, that your ISP somehow arranges for ,say, 50 people to share one "pipe" - rather like 50 baths filled from one pipe. Then they provide a bigger "pipe" or reduce rthe numbers sharing. Pipex more or less admitted this after I moaned at a senior level. Maybe they have had complaints.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I've thought of the contention ratio but my profile has doubled to 6 Meg. I'm thinking that's it is the supplier to Plusnet that's done this. Just like having a Birthday present.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

Just compared mine as Plusnet is alsao my ISP:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1858694221.png

Like this post  
rdave13

Likes # 0

HondaMan..... not bad,,sniff.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have you tried 3 broadband works plugin in a usb dongle.

im not sure if it could benefit you. we had a couple of years then switched to virgin

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...