We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

can anyone recommend a budget non-pc blu ray player

theDarkness
Resolved

Likes # 0

I was thinking of purchasing one as the dvd player may be on its last legs, but I dont know if its really worth it at this stage-if any blu ray budget players are recommended, or mainly make up the earlier batches that were released, very slow etc. I still wonder if blu ray could be overtaken by yet another physical format in the near future. I say 2 or 3 more yrs should be enough time to find out. I have noticed that the price of select movies on bluray are starting to get close to the dvd price, so I am wondering how those that now own blu ray rate it compared to dvd, ignoring the obvious (image quality). I wonder if slow loading times are common on average priced machines, if forced trailers on new movies are becoming common, the supposed need for constant firmware updates for the latest releases, if anyone has bricked their machine on a bad java update, and if if any machines have a backup option :) can anyone recommend a good budget player-the lowest they would pay for a player for what they would believe as acceptable? thanks

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I use a PS3 for Blu Ray playback and the picture quality is stunning.

I do have to do regular firmware updates, for both Blu Ray and Love Film playback, which is very annoying.

Loading times aren't too long, and besides, I've got into the habit of popping the disc in the player then making a brew or whatever whilst the disc loads.

Forced adverts don't seem to be an issue on most discs I've played.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

cheers, ill keep note of that, at least if the prices of any of the consoles start to fall. from a forum I read before, forced advertising you couldnt skip was on some new discs, but didnt state what movies they were,so it wasnt alot of help. I hope that doesnt catch on, I doubt it as theres no reason that it couldnt have been added to standard dvds a long time ago. The cheapest new blu ray players I can find so far are around £50-60 on amazon, even newly released ones (less than 6 months old). some mention minor quibbles such as displaying a logo permanently at the bottom corner of the screen on a toshiba blu ray player when a dvd is played, but its that sort of this that I wouldnt be too impressed with, lol. I think Ill need to try youtube for some live examples of the most popular budget players, if any. thanks :)

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I've got an LG BD550, dirt cheap on Amazon (think it was £69). Great picture and upload times are Ok. Good basic upgrade from DVD. Had it about 9 months, with no issues.

Like this post  
ßeta

Likes # 1

Personally I don't see the point in now purchasing a BDROM Player when everyone seems to be pushing Online On Demand Content.

I haven't watched a BDROM on my PS3 for months.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

I'm using a Panasonic DMP-BD75 that I bought for £70 back in September. I needed a new DVD player, but thought I might as well spend a bit extra and get this. It's mostly been used for regular DVDs, and I still only have a few Blu-Ray discs. I also only have a 720p (Panasonic) tv set. The machine is basic, but works well. Not much else to say.............

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

ßeta

Not everyone has a suitable internet connection for streaming movies.

I've got 10 meg, and high def content from love film still stalls occasionally. They also don't have all the latest releases available for streaming.

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

The waiting times will surely get better in the future for movie loading on blu ray? That along with the firmware updating puts me off slightly, aside from the fact that hd-dvd is 'still around' (some bargains can be had from discs on amazon and ebay up until around 2009, lol). With disc loading on blu ray, now might be a good idea to try youtube for some live high res examples regarding how long it takes to load a disc on recent blu ray players, and on the models mentioned here. Many people do not know where to turn when it comes to a new physical disc format, especially when they can get an upscaling dvd player for their widescreen or hd tv for half the price (there are toshiba models around for £30). I'd like to be able to compare them to blu-ray on an hd tv, but I dont have one just yet. Im sure they cannot compare.

I dont think we'll have much of a choice with reception-no doubt one day every tv and channel will be hd only, but it may take a very long time before that happens and non-hd kicks the bucket. ßeta makes a fair point-but I think I would miss having physical media. Im sure the focus will soon be on every single tv being able to browse the internet, which wont help. Ive noticed there are a few sony and samsung televisions with full net access already (Samsung D8090 Smart TV). I would hope that pc comes with a keyboard rather than a large remote, lol. Everyone will probably have hard drives built into their tv or alongside for saved documents and media one day, to realize they now all essentially have pcs with limited ability in every single living room. By then, all the companies pushing the online movie content straight to your tv (along with the live gambling etc that you may currently need satellite tv/pc web access for at the moment).

thanks for the blu ray player suggestions, will take note and check them out :)

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

try ebuyer dot com

novatech dot com

im sure they must have something in your price range

i would recommend maplin but i would'nt their prices can be a little steep

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I picked up a Toshiba HDMI BluRay-DVD player from Richer Sounds a couple of months back for around £40 - It loads BluRay's much faster tham my PlayStation3 & you can use it for media content from a USB stick but as with ßeta I hardly ever use it - I did buy it to minismise wear & tear on the PS3. Picture & sound quality are great & I can't see any point in paying more.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia replaces budget Lumia 520 with 530: Release date, price and specs

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer