We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Slide Digitiser

Noldi

Likes # 0

Can you recommend a slide digitiser to scan a large number of slides. Looked on the Internet and there seems to be a large range of types and prices

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Although a bit expensive I have a Canonscan 8800f that can act as a flatbed, slide, or film scanner. Not very quick but good quality - some of the cheap slide scannere do not do a very good job. Some people here have used a camera to take pictures of projected slides. I think there is a newer Canonscan.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Another cheaper model mentioned favourably on the forums is the Epson V300 - see here:

http://www.epson.co.uk/Scanners/Epson-Perfection-V300-Photo

not sure if it still current.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

John Bunyan

Thank you hadn't thought about that type of scanner must pop into my local shop and ask about it. If that is the sort of cost then I have seen more expensive options.

Noldi

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I have scanned in some 2000 slides using an older version of the V300. It will take 4 at time. Each one should be scanned at a high resolution as they will need to be enlarged once scanned. Be prepared to have to edit individual scans. I found that with many of my quite old slides I had to use dust and scratch removing tools and colour/hue correction especially as some had gained a blue tint with age. Therefore allow lots of time. It is very worthwhile. Back up to at least 2 places as I suffered corruption with my main files at one time.

I don't think that the cheaper scanners that effectively take a photo of the slide are worth it.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Noldi Some years ago I had a very expensive dedicated slide / film scanner - I think a Nikon Coolcan. It had a SCSI interface. With chabges in Windows and other matters, these scanners are very expensive, and the ones mentioned above are as good whilst being more versatile for the home user. If you look back at past PCA reviews you will see a lot of input.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?