We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

wonga.com APR?

p;3

Likes # 0

I note that Wonga.com

cleverly do not state in their ads the APR of the Loan which I understand, from researching on line is 4214%

I am told that it is on the TV ad but is very clevery 'hidden' ; I ask if anyone has seen it on the ad and if so have they the ability to take a photo of it please?

I note that other on line lenders do give their APR on screan but with Wonga I have closely studied the ad with no success and cannot see it anywhere

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

alan14

Look at the latest 30 second Wonga TV ads in my link above, none of which displays the APR.

If as you say it is illegal not to display the APR why are these ads allowed?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The ad states we will tell you much it will cost. The problem is that those looking for this type of loan rarely stop and realise just how much it will cost.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

bremner

According to the Office of Fair trading

if an advertisement includes an interest rate or any amount relating to the cost of the credit - this triggers a 'representative example' including a 'representative APR'.

The adverts don't give any indication of cost, so they get away with it.

I have seen Wonga ads in the past with an APR, I think they've got wise now and found a way to avoid displaying the rate

http://www.oft.gov.uk/about-the-oft/legal-powers/legal/cca/guidance

Like this post
theDarkness

Likes # 0

What I hate about the adverts from so many of these companies in the same money lending field, including 'wonga', is they almost always look like they are aiming at a certain type of audience, young and/or student springs to mind, as I dont think I have come across many ads that are not trying to be comedic or 'fun' in nature. They almost like to remind possible customers of how easy, fast and dead simple it is to join up and get that money straight into their account via one or two easy clicks. So easy and fast in fast that you forget about reading any small print, taking note on understanding apr or interest rates, or regarding how much you may have to pay back in full etc if everything doesnt go as well as planned, lol. I shouldnt laugh, but it just gives the impression that its a complete scam, however legal it may currently be :( I am surprised on the amount of people that dont understand APR, yet sign up anyway. They might like to read this:- http://blog.moneysavingexpert.com/2011/09/21/fact-borrowing-100-at-wongas-apr-costs-more-than-the-us-national-debt-over-14-trillion-after-7-years/

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the apr is very very very and more very high

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...