We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BT is pathetic

wee eddie

Likes # 1

They can't even deliver sufficient Bandwidth into a Town Centre residence to view a movie at midnight.

I'm sure that they will come up with some excuse or other, but it comes down to this.

Another respected British Institution has lost its balls.

• Tags:
  • bt
Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Grrrr 'NOT meant to be in a higher font - Need a bigger display I think.

Looking quickly on the BT Infinity page, these towns in my local region can already get Infinity.

Birchwood, Chellaston, Chesterfield, Coalville, Etwall, Great Oakley, Hinckley, Kirby Muxloe, LONG Eaton, Loughborough, Market Harborough, Mickleover, Narborough, Oadby, Peartree, Rushden, Sherwood, St Ives, Stoneygate, Sutton Elms, Trentside, Weston Favell. 31ST DEC 2011

Basford, Breadsall, Ibstock, Lutterworth, Market Deeping, Nottingham Longbow, Quorn, Willowcroft

This month -

Alfreton, Ashby De La Zouch, Bingham, Blidworth, Brackley, Burton Latimer, Chapel Brampton, Derby, Duston, Lincoln, Plumtree, Retford, Ripley, Rothley, Sudbrooke Park, Worksop

So not just businesses?

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

And morddwyd is correct, i use virgin too, moved away from BT years ago and things are looking up and up and faster and faster with Virgin, but still i had to download from u tube on how to speed firefox by changing the settings in about:config.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

So not just businesses, I never said just for businesses, I said they are running a business so will go to area's that will make them the most money.

Virgin are not in all area's for that same reason.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

"For the record, I am with BT, advertised as 8 meg I rarely get more than 4, usually well below a frustrating 2."

Exactly the same as me! I rang and complained, they ran their speedtester on my line and told me I would get between 4 and 7.5. I told them they were joking and have never heard from them again.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This belongs in Consumerwatch, and I'm moving it over now.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Strawballs - You are right, I misread your post, sorry.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

If you use the BT Speed Tester http://www.speedtester.bt.com/and record your results over several days, you can use this information to ask BT to investigate line speed. They will only do this if your results and mainly below their lowest estimated speed to your home.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Sorry my link to the BT Speed tester seems not to work. Here it is again

http://www.speedtester.bt.com/

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Kestrel: Just now I ran the Check suggested. But my problem usually arises between Midnight and 1.30am.

Result: 2.5Mb with a maximum achievable Speed of 4Mb.

Now, as I said before, they tested my line before I upgraded from the 2Mb Package to the 20Mb Package and the said that I would get download speeds of "Between" 4.5Mb and 11 Mb, with an "Estimated" average speed of 7.5Mb.

Now I call that a Pathetic way for a major National Company to sell its Consumer Product, rather than the use of a Terminological Inexactitude.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Do you get speeds of 4.5Mb or better during the day? If not carry out tests over a number of days over a range of times and make sure they are recorded by the speed tester. These results can be seen by BT. If you are regularly achieving speeds below 4.5Mb, then complain to BT and refer them to your test results.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia