We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Delevery by Currier, Inspect item before signing

Ex plorer
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hi I have just been put in an awkward position. I had an email and phone call from Dell to say my goods would be delivered today.

In the email Dell said to inspect the goods for breakages before signing for them.

When the delivery man arrived I told him I just wanted to inspect inside the box as I had been requested by dell to do so.

I explained it was a very expensive item costing hundreds of pounds.

He was polite and apologetic but said the firm wont allow inspection as they would never get round all customers.

The box looked fine no bashes etc. I signed and all seems OK in the box.

I signed unseen sometimes but just wasn't sure what to do this time.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Two things here.

"He was polite and apologetic but said the firm wont allow inspection as they would never get round all customers." I suspect this stemmed from the driver, not the firm.

Everything is so well packed these days. Just minor scuffs or a dog-eared corner can safely be ignored but if the box has clearly been opened or has a wound that looks like it was attacked with a hefty spike that would be grounds to reject the parcel.

Perhaps a mid-way out with severe damage, might be to accept the hurried delivery and be on the phone to Dell for guidance.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Couriers are under enormous pressure to deliver huge numbers of parcels very rapidly - it's how they attract new business.

The fact is, you are protected by consumer law, in that you have 7 days from the date of delivery within which you may return the goods to the supplier as unsatisfactory, and you don't have to provide a reason. You bought the machine online, you didn't have an opportunity to inspect it prior to ordering, and the law recognises the fact.

Signing the courier's hand-held as 'Unexamined' is a good move, regardless of the nature of the goods.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

in the old days when they used pen and paper you could sign and state items unchecked next to your signature, now days these silly handheld things they use they use a pen when they meant to use a stylus, hence the screen is covered in ink and these ink pens don't record properly what you written.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I suspect the main problem arises if part of your order is missing. Then it's a case of:

Customer: "You didn't include part X"

Supplier: "Yes we did."

Customer: "It wasn't in the box"

Supplier: "Well we asked you to check the goods before signing for them. You have signed to say you have received everything you ordered. There is nothing we can do about it now."

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have a number of deliveries per week, and in the main write 'un-examined' or 'unckecked' in any space available.

One thing that I have noticed recently, is the increase of 'local delivery agents' who might be a mum earning a little bit of pin money. Yodel courier drivers who deliver to us, do not request a signature, yet their 'agents' do.

ParcelForce and Royal Mail have also started to leave un-delivered items at a local Post Office for collection by the customer. Our 'selected' local Post Office is not very pleased about this, due to lack of storage space, and extra administration required by them. If the Royal Mail or ParcelForce leave items at a local Post Office, then there is no charge. If you request that the items are left at 'a selected' Post Office, then there is a charge (50p?) for this requested service.

The reason I state 'a' or 'selected' in the case of Royal Mail or ParcelForce leaving items at Post Office's, is because the actual Post Office the driver or post-person selects, need not be the nearest to you!.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy an iPhone 6 (or any smartphone) on contract: Get the latest tech and save...

IDG UK Sites

Corel Painter 2015 review

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK