We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fridge+freezer lottery.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Recently my old freezer packed in but as they came in a pair Freezer and Fridge we had to renew both.

Wife wanted silver so ordered them both from the Co-operative and when they arrived and I was installing them,The wife noticed that they were two different shaded of Silver,As they were side by side they looked out of place so phoned the Coop and they said because they are made in different factories they could not guarantee that we would get a perfect match.

But credit to them they offered to pick them up and return the payment for them and they are being picked up today.

So now we have to order another two from elsewhere I decided to phone one of the UKs biggest company's to see if it was possible to get a matching pair fridge and freezer and got the same reply as the coop gave me although it was a different make that I was buying.

This is the question asked.

Enquiry: Are all silver fridge and freezers the same shade of silver, Bought a fridge and freezer from Belko and have to return them because the are a different shade of grey. Just wondered if yours were all the same colour or can you buy them as a matching pair.

This is the answer that I received.

Unfortunately I cannot guarantee that 2 silver items will be the same shade. This is because different materials are used in the different factories where we produce the silver appliances, which in turn makes the silver appear that it has a slightly lighter/darker shade than others.

I do apologise that I cannot be of more help.

I suppose if you manage to get both the same shade of grey would be like trying to win the lottery.

Looks like a take it or leave it situation.

Anyone else ever have the same sort of problem.

Of course the only one that is not going to win out of this is me if the next two don't match I Will need to get some cotton wool for my ears.

I have told her to get white instead as there would be less chance of a colour difference with that choice.

But No she wants the Lone ranger I'm afraid.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

jaraba

Yes thought of that but the doors are about 8 year old now and way past there best.So don't want old doors on a new fridge.I would have also needed to buy new seals for it as the old one is a bit worse for wear and that would be another £30.

The Top would also have to be changed but cannot do it now.

Put it outside the front door and the Travelers came round looking for scrap and took it away.30 Minutes after putting it outside it was gone.No need to pay the council to take it away in this district.

Must admit any old scrap you have we just leave it outside the gate and its gone the same day.They usually follow round after the binmen on a Monday you name it ,They take it,as long as there is any metal in it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Thanks for that one never heard of them before.I need mine to be 550mm wide and 600mm depth and I think 850mm height.

Most of the Hotpoint silver ones are all 600mm wide and that's why I am having problems.

I put the kitchen in about 20 years ago and 550mm wide must have been about the normal size for those days.Cant shift the units without lifting the wooden flooring so stuck with the 55omm size.Just renewed all the doors and drawers on the units about 6 weeks ago just in case you are thinking why I don't I get a new kitchen at the same time.

Will have a good look through that site shortly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

john bunyan

Had a look and they don't have a big selection unfortunately they are all to wide and deep for me.Looked really good though.

I keep telling the wife to settle for white but she is having none of it so it's Hi Ho silver time again.

Just seems daft that firms that actually make them cannot guarantee you that they will match.So not sure what happens if the next pair do not match.

I have always bought Hotpoint's before including washing machines as you get a 5 year warranty with them.And only once have I ever had any problems with any of them and that was with the washing machine.Had to pay for the engineer to come out but all the parts were free.

Unfortunately they do not do silver on 550mm wide Fridges or Freezers.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

jaraba

Yes thought of that but the doors are about 8 year old now and way past there best.So don't want old doors on a new fridge.I would have also needed to buy new seals for it as the old one is a bit worse for wear and that would be another £30.

The Top would also have to be changed but cannot do it now.

Put it outside the front door and the Travelers came round looking for scrap and took it away.30 Minutes after putting it outside it was gone.No need to pay the council to take it away in this district.

Must admit any old scrap you have we just leave it outside the gate and its gone the same day.They usually follow round after the binmen on a Monday you name it ,They take it,as long as there is any metal in it.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...just get white...then put lots of big fridge magnets of 'The Lone Ranger' and 'Silver' to distract your wife's gaze?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

AitchBEE

I am all for that.I would prefer white and the magnates would add a bit of extra colour.

I found another unexpected seller, Wilkinsons. Not sure if you have them in Glasgow but lots of them down here.And a bit cheaper than most if anyone else is thinking of buying goods on the Internet of course.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Finally ordered from Argos it seems that both can be delivered within 5 days but not that confident with them.Got this e-mail last night,

Thanks for shopping at argos.co.uk on Wednesday 14th March 2012. We've sent you this email as an acknowledgement of your order, which we'll now check.

Please print or save a copy of this email for future reference.

Your order number for the following item(s) is xxxxxxxxxx We've charged this order to your card, authorisation number xxxxx. If we cannot accept your order for any reason we'll provide a full refund to your card.

Might just be me but that does not sound promising.

They will e-mail me on Saturday to see when I can accept delivery.Well that's 3 days gone I can only assume it will be coming Monday or Tuesday, probably weekends don't count.

I have told the other half that I am not responsible if the colours don't match but I can imagine the moans and groans that I will have to listen to.

Settled for Indesit instead of Whirlpool with the hope that the chances would be better getting the correct colour with them.

Lets hope my luck changes for the better it has been a bit iffy lately.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ahh don't know.

Picked out a couple of Whirlpools fridge and freezer yesterday and e-mailed the company to see if it was a matching pair.

Never heard anything back so went for the Indesit pair and just got an e-mail back just now telling me that the Whirlpool ones were a match.

At least something to fall back on if Argos cannot deliver.

Like this post  
buteman

Likes # 0

Ahh really don't know.

Noticed a call on our answer machine last night.It was from Indesit Peterboro wanting to know what times that they could deliver and left a number to contact them.

Unfortunately the number was a bit garbled and we could not make it out so we rang the number left on the phone.No Answer.Phoned Argos who gave us another phone number which put us through to the security at Indesit who put us through to there call center which was not available so had to leave it at that.

Phone went about 10Pm and it was Indesit call center wanting to arrange a time and date for the delivery of our freezer.

I said I ordered a fridge and freezer and got the answer that the fridge was out of stock.When is it liable to be in stock I said.Maybe next week she said.Well I don't want one without the other so contact me when you have both.

Sent Argos an e-mail last night to either deliver within the next 5 days or to cancel and repay me today so that I can go elsewhere.

Had a return e-mail which says that they are looking into it.So will see what today brings.

Doesn't rain but it pours.

All this carry on over a Fridge and Freezer is it to much to ask for decent service or am I getting more like Victor Meldrew.

Come to think about it you can imagine his reactions if he did the same on one of his episodes.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

buteman

With reference to your 14 March @ 6.48am post. We have similar very obliging scrap collector's around our way, but be warned that they should have a waste carriers licence, especially for things like fridges etc. If the items that they collect are dumped by the wayside, and are traceable back to an address, then there could be a possibility of a heavy fine by the council involved.

Our local council collect items like fridge freezers for free, and have arrangements for correct disposal.

The same applies to scrap vehicles, the collector should provide an official certificate of disposal. Failure to do so, might lead to further legal actions.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...