We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

gardenin seed compost

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Normally I buy the bulk compost from a supermarket of superstore, put the seeds /plants in and if they grow else they don't.

This year I would like to try something different, and use a good quality compost to start seeds off (Tomatoes, Aubergines and various flowers for the wife-she has not decided what she wants yet)

The problem is they all say for seed and plants, some cheapies and some expensive. How can I know what is best.Quality and price.

Any suggestions for good composts based on your own use.

Thanks Terry

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Look for outlets that sell John Innes compost. This is graded depending on what use it is for. For example grade 1 for seeds, grade 2 for cuttings and potting on, etc... Try it and see how you get on. A lot of nurseries will make their own up to this John Innes standard.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I have found the compost that Lidl sell to be of a good quality. They are currently selling a 40l bag for £1.99.

They were also doing a 20l bag for 99p, but they might have sold out by now.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

iscanut & AitchBEE

Thanks for your replies.

I know that John Innes has a good reputation, so I will give that a try, as you also suggested, I'll have a talk with my local plant nursery to see what they suggest.

I will also go to my local LIDL store (I have one abouut 10 mile away) and try a bag of theirs for either seed starting or for growing on. Last year I tried the ASDA compost and I was not very satisfied with the quality- Forever drying out,and very course.Plants also sems to grow slowly unless they were heavily fed.

Tried the system as favoured on TV. One set with no added fertilizer and the one with extra Fertilizer used DOFF from ALDI.

Terry

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

iscanut & AitchBEE

I have had a look around and decided to try John Innes No.1, which Wilkinsons is doing a special on at the moment.

All I need now is some good weather and to 'persuade' someone to do the weeding for me (Any Volunteers?)

Terry

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Personally, I don't like John Innes for seed growing although JI #2 & #3 are great for growing plants in containers later on.

Gardening Which? current best buy for sowing seeds is J Arthur Bower's Multipurpose compost with added John Innes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Google Fit vs Apple Health Kit: What's the difference?

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

Government kills £50 million 'Silicon Roundabout' regeneration fund