We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mini-laptop/netbook or iPad?

The Kestrel
Resolved

Likes # 0

I want to buy something which is small and portable, that will let me use the internet and email when I'm away from home, on holiday etc. Storing photographs and music on it is also important and the ability to make notes, write letters and short documents too.

I have been researching netbooks and mini-laptops and quite like the Acer One 722 http://www.laptopoutlet.co.uk/96383-acer-aspire-722-116-inch-mini-laptop-amd-dual-core-4gb-ram-500-gb-hdd-4717276516666.html which seems to fit my needs.

Having mentioned it to my eldest son, he suggested that the best option was to go for an iPad. When I mentioned the lack of data storage compared to the Acer, he told me that I can store whatever I need on iCloud.

I'm now in a quandary. I like the idea of having a real keyboard and enough storage capacity for all my needs, but should I go for the modern option of an iPad? What are your thoughts?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

How much do you want to store when on holiday? How important is a USB connection? Noting that you cannot connect by USB to the iPad and would need the camera adaptor for a digital camera. How portable do you want it?

You can make notes, etc on an iPad. Suggest you go into a store and play with an iPad. Then try to play with an ultrabook.

I have both a lightweight laptop and an iPad (iPad is a much more recent acquisition). I'm thinking of taking both on holiday!

I would take an iPad instead of a netbook.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 1

Personally I would opt for the mini laptop as it is more versatile than the iPad for connecting to other devices, local storage and typing letters etc. It comes with it's own keyboard instead of on screen one that takes up half your display. I know you can use iCloud for storage but uploading files is always much slower than saving to hard drive and you will also not need to be near a wifi hotspot to access your files. Also it has the advantage of being considerably cheaper than an iPad.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 1

I use a iPad and a netbook when I travel, and find that there are pros and cons with both of them.

My iPad is incredibly convenient, and much faster to use than the netbook, once you get used to the on-screen keyboard. It has a similar sized display, but of course it can auto-rotate - a very useful feature.

My netbook runs Windows 7 and Microsoft Office, with all the advantages that they bring. It has better connectivity, so I can just plug it into a LAN if I'm working in an office network environment.

The iPad connects rapidly to any available wifi network, and it has an onboard mobile broadband SIM which gets me online more or less anywhere in the UK at a moment's notice. It deals with my email efficiently and rapidly, and I can take work files with me as PDF files. The installed word processor is fine, and I have all the tools necessary for a business life on the move.

The netbook handles everything as well - if not quite as rapidly - as my office desktop or my larger laptop. It is hardly any bigger than the iPad, but doesn't have the advantage (and it's a big advantage)of the iPad's touch screen.

If I had to take one and leave one at home the iPad would come with me. if I had to make a value for money choice the netbook would win hands down.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

Thanks FE, your comparison of their respective pros and cons was just what I was looking for.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Have you checked out the new Asus Prime with quad core tablet?

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

rickf

The Asus Prime looks really good, but is out of my price range.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Get a 2nd hand one on eBay. Lots of people simply buy things and then put them up for sale for various reasons.

Like this post
rickf

Likes # 0

Forgot to say I have been using the Transformer 101, the last generation with dual core and so far very pleased with it w/o having to pay the premium on Apple products.

Like this post
The Kestrel

Likes # 0

I have decided to go with the Acer Aspire 722 netbook, as I prefer to have a real keyboard rather than an on-screen one. Also, having plenty of storage means I don't have to be on line to retrieve photographs etc that would need to be stored on iCloud if I bought an iPad.

Thanks for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features