We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Dell technical support

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

In view of all the negative comments one hears about the support provided, or not, by most manufacturers, I thought I should mention how helpful Dell's tech support were, over a problem with my new laptop. This, especially as I think I created most of the problems, myself, when I transfered my files etc across from my old laptop. I used Windows, so called, "easy" transfer, with brought over corruptions, or, at least, a lot of things that shouldn't have been brought over.

The poor chap spent about 6 hours, putting everything back into working order, and making sure only "wanted" stuff came over, which was very good, given it wasn't their fault.

There is one small issue, which someone may be able to advise me on. He brought up a log of what was on my drive "D". Everything from my old Samsung laptop was supposed to have been removed, but the log showed a Norton 360 backup (my old security), and "Samsung Recovery". He tried to remove these, but couldn't, as they were "locked". He assured me they wouldn't be a problem, but I do have a nagging doubt that they are going to "jump up and bite me" sometime. Is he right, or is there a way to force their removal. I'm not even sure HOW he got up the log, to do it again!

Many thanks, and sorry to be so long winded.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Windows easy transfer doesn't know which files you want, and which you don't want - it's up to you to decide on that.

As far as the Norton backup and Samsung recovery files are concerned you should be able to delete these yourself. In any event, they aren't going to jump up and bite you at any time.

If they have been transferred to your 'D' drive you can find them easily enough - just click on the 'Start' button and then click on 'Computer' in the right-hand panel. When the new window opens, click on the D drive icon, and look for the files you want to delete. Right click on them and select 'delete'.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more