We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Import vat duty and taxes

finerty

Likes # 0

Can someone tell me if i order a dvd set from the USA (amazon.com) priced at £36.41 and delivery is £1.26.

How much would the Import vat duty would be and would i be liable for any other taxes

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

Sorry i forgot to mention i can get the same item here in the UK priced at £81.90 just wondering if it works out cheaper if i order from the states

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

My son had a pair of Uggs sent from Oz - he was charged standard VAT at 20%. Made them quite an expensive pressie!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Duty 3.5% VAT 20% according to this.It does say 17.5% but as we know it has gone up recently.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?nfpb=true&pageLabel=pageVATShowContent&id=HMCEPROD_009989&propertyType=document

Now I do not know if this is a fact or not but there was someone on here from the US that had a UK CD or DVD and he could not get it to play over there.Just something i read so maybe different areas have different codes but I know not.

Either that or it was the program he normally uses for playing CD's that would not accept the one from the UK.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry that never came out.Bit annoying as it shows Ok at the bottom half of the post and when you send it it does not work properly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Weird it still works ok on the preview of the post but does not work on the post itself.

Not to worry this what it say's.

DVDs and CDs (discs) Audio. Video, games (discs) CD Rom with data or programmes Blank CD-R and CD-RW

3.5% Free Free

S S S

Looks crap but the S was for the VAt and the 3.5% was for the vat.also looks like Audio. Video, games (discs) are free from Duty

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

New I read it somewhere.probably does not apply to you but worth a read.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4123095/any-dvd-64bit-version/

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

While you go through the purchase process, watch out for the addition of "Local Taxes" which differ from State to State in the USA.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

the DVDs are region 0 and will play on any region according to Amazon

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

finerty

Yes region 0 should play on Multiple Areas.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

thanks Buteman

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

Watch this heartwarming Christmas short by Trunk for composer John Rutter

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad