We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Battery dead or can it be revived.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Van battery about 2 years old but left in the cold for a couple of months without getting Charged.

Brother in Law staying in Spain at the moment and has left me his car until he comes back whenever that is.

I usually go out and run the van engine to keep it charged but never charged it during the Bad weather and the Battery fully drained.

Tried charging it for a day and no luck it did take the minimal amount of charge but not enough to start it.

Charged it for another day and the same result.

Starts no bother if I use the jump leads.

I suppose I should have disconnected it to save it from draining.

Is it a case of Bining it and buying a new one or is there hope for it.

I need the van in case the brother in law decides to come back and stay.

Mind you the charger I was using must be about 40 year old at least but it did start it last summer.

Let it run for half an hour today with the revs up switched off but not enough power in it to start again.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Are you trying to charge the battery while it is still connected to the Van?

If so ~ Take it out

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

As I said in an earlier post, removing the battery as an option would depend on the age of the vehicle, and the circuitry used. If the van is not computerised, then remove the battery. If the van as computerised coding or other devices reliant on a constant voltage feed, then seek further advice.

When you used jump leads, did you use another battery, or was the leads connected via another vehicle, with its engine running, so as not to drain that battery and provide a constant charge flow?.

The charger that you are attempting to use, appears to be a DIY 6amp 'trickle' charger, which is not made to 'revive' a 'dying or dead' battery in a quick charging time.

Would mention at this point, that there are jump-starter with compressor units available (Aldi are selling these, this week). but I have found that these not all that reliable, compared to the commercial units available at a far higher price.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Battery still connected.Using jump leads from another Car.Jump start no problem.Van is about 8 year old so don't think it would cause any problems removing it.probably stop the radio from working but I never listened to it anyway.

Just the usual ,Date,Time.Door open signals and that is all.

Jump starting works ok but still not enough energy in the battery to restart the engine when jump leads are removed and engine is switched off.

Will try again this afternoon and see if I can get enough charge in it to at least restart it.If so the charger may do the rest.

If no success today will take the battery off tomorrow and try charging it that way.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

My wife has a very low milage (8000miles) X reg Honda (bad back restricts driving) I regularly charged the battery but had to get a new one this year as I am told that age does in the end mean that even a low use does not mean that it does not die of old age. Protyre locally fitted it for free.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok one quick question.Van ignition off and jump leads between Car and van with car engine running will this do any damage to car battery or car and would it help charge mine as nothing else is working at the moment.

john bunyan

I may have to go along that route but as I am not sure what I am doing with the van at the minute I don't want to be spending anything on it unless I know that I need to.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well that was a waste of time.Have to admit defeat on this battery is just not taking any more charge.

If I manage to borrow another stronger charger I will let you know how I got on.

Apart from that thanks everyone that tried to help me fix my problem.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia