We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Battery dead or can it be revived.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Van battery about 2 years old but left in the cold for a couple of months without getting Charged.

Brother in Law staying in Spain at the moment and has left me his car until he comes back whenever that is.

I usually go out and run the van engine to keep it charged but never charged it during the Bad weather and the Battery fully drained.

Tried charging it for a day and no luck it did take the minimal amount of charge but not enough to start it.

Charged it for another day and the same result.

Starts no bother if I use the jump leads.

I suppose I should have disconnected it to save it from draining.

Is it a case of Bining it and buying a new one or is there hope for it.

I need the van in case the brother in law decides to come back and stay.

Mind you the charger I was using must be about 40 year old at least but it did start it last summer.

Let it run for half an hour today with the revs up switched off but not enough power in it to start again.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

If you have a charger with the option of "Fast Charge" then you should charge the battery with that option for about 20-25 minutes then drop the charge rate to trickle charge.

Some times a dead battery can be brought back to life with that method but from what you have been saying it looks as though you have a deceased battery,

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

carver

No such luck not even sure if it strong enough for a diesel engine.It says 12 volts on it but I am sure the battery takes or uses 15-17volts.

2 lights on it charge is at green and I assume the other one is red is to let you know the power is working.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

The charge light is at green.Does that mean when it is fully charged it turns to red or just stay at green.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Looks like I would need to charge it for about a fortnight to get it to work properly.It is holding a bit more charge but still not enough to start it.

A stronger charger would probably do the trick the one I am using is only a 6 amp 12 volt.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

12 to 24 hours from flat.

Try to get the Van turned over, or even running, immediately before you use the Starter Motor with the recharged battery.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Will try that tomorrow and leave it to charge as much as possible.Unfortunately I cannot charge it overnight unless I bring it into the house to charge.

It says not to use an extension cable but the cable is earthed at the plug so should be Ok.Either that or I would need to plug it in at home which I don't want to do.

Will see what tomorrow brings if no success I will need a new one.

If so I will wait and get it when needed.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Most car batteries are 45 - 60AHr so it will need at least 15 hours at 6A (if you can believe the 6A quoted), that is only a trickle charger and you would be better with a 10A or more charger.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wiz-king

Yes all but given up with it need something stronger and there is no way I can keep it plugged in for 16 hours unless I charged it up in the house and I don't want to do that. Normally I would just jump start it and drive around for a while but cannot do that as it is off road at the moment.

Will see if I can borrow a stronger charger.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Although the battery is flat, I think that the problem lies elsewhere.

Once the battery has a full charge in it, install it and borrow a set of Jump Leads.

Use another Car to get yours started and run the engine, for a while, until the water gauge reaches running temperature.

Then stop it and try to Start it with the newly charged battery.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wee eddie

The problem is that at the rate its charging it could take a fortnight.I have tried with the jump leads but made no difference would barely turn when switched off.

Going to charge it today again and if no different give it up as a bad job and probably buy a new one when the time comes.

Instead of charging it with the Battery leads connected would it make any difference disconnecting them first and then charging it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia