We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Battery dead or can it be revived.

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

Van battery about 2 years old but left in the cold for a couple of months without getting Charged.

Brother in Law staying in Spain at the moment and has left me his car until he comes back whenever that is.

I usually go out and run the van engine to keep it charged but never charged it during the Bad weather and the Battery fully drained.

Tried charging it for a day and no luck it did take the minimal amount of charge but not enough to start it.

Charged it for another day and the same result.

Starts no bother if I use the jump leads.

I suppose I should have disconnected it to save it from draining.

Is it a case of Bining it and buying a new one or is there hope for it.

I need the van in case the brother in law decides to come back and stay.

Mind you the charger I was using must be about 40 year old at least but it did start it last summer.

Let it run for half an hour today with the revs up switched off but not enough power in it to start again.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

If you already have distilled water, ignore my suggestion.

If you melt the Frosting from inside a Deep Freeze, just chip a little off, it is as close to distilled water as you can get.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Ok thought that that was what you meant but was not sure.

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

It's probably sulphated. sulphated battery cause and treatment

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nice one VCR97.

That seems to sum it up completely.Brother in law has a new Charger at home so just a matter of trying to find it as he is not about.

So far I have tried charging it while still on the van is that ok or should it be taken off to charge it.

And if nothing works it is a bin case then.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok have all the information on how to charge the battery if possible so will class this as resolved but will let you know the outcome.

One last question ,I take it it is better to charge battery with the bungs on top closed and secondly I take it it is not advisable to charge the battery inside the house.

Only asked as it is a bit wet out there today where I stay or is it just better waiting for a dry day.

Like this post  
wee eddie

Likes # 0

It is advised that, when charging a battery, you do so in a place that has a free flow of air. To do so in the open air, with the potential of rain, would be madness.

Before you start charging, you must make sure that the acid covers the top of the plates, inside the battery. If it does not, top it up with distilled water.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Regarding charging, this is a debatable subject. I usually charge batteries in-situ, unless it is more convenient not to, especially with older vehicles. But I have been advised that with 'modern' computerised vehicles, there might be a problem with surges that might cause problems, especially if the charger is not reliable. Similar to perhaps 'electric' welding on modern or some not so modern vehicles?.

Then again, there also seems to be a problem, if the battery is disconnected, with the results that recoding might need to be done. I also look at it from another angle, and that is when a 'jump-start' device is used?.

Perhaps someone with more experiences on this might have an answer, because it would be very interesting to know?.

With regards to loosening the bungs, I usually do this slightly. Not forgetting to tighten up afterwards. Make sure that there is nothing near the open bungs, because the fumes have an 'acid' content.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

wee eddie

Ok just checked and the water just covers the plates so that looks ok.

Found the brother in laws new charger so will use that the first dry day.

It did say to charge it for at least 8 hours or till the charger shows fully charged.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are going the 'fully charged' route, then I would suggest that after 'fully charged' you leave the battery for a day or so, then check to see if its still 'fully charged'. Some battery chargers can give different results, depending on diy or commercial status of the charger.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Spuds

Ok thanks for that I am not expecting it to charge just hopeful that it will.

As chargers go although new it looks a bit on the cheep side.

Seen one that looked similar with a sale price of £8 on it this morning so not sure what the correct price was.

As It happened I could have started charging it today ,Although it was wet at 7am this morning it soon dried up.

If it does charge I will try it again a few days later.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good