We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Blocked Drains

Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I recently have that dreaded problem with a blocked 'Dirt Pipe' ( from Toilet etc down to sewer).

I had access to a set of drain rods which cleared a hole in it, allowing it to drain, but the pipe needed flushing to clean completly.

Phoned around and had a shock (£100 +) just to flush, although I had done the dirty work already.

Solution: Get a bucket of Hot Water, add about 4 heaped tablespoons of SODA- stir until disolved and pour down the toilet -fast as possible- repeat until clear.

Mine was clear after 2 and a 3rd for good measure.

As a simple maintaince could be worth doing annually and the cost is negligable compared to the agro and cost of a sewage engineer.

Terry

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Terry Brown - that makes very good sense. Preventative maintenance is always the best solution.

Unfortunately, my drain had two serious blockages, which now have been totally cleared. (This week).

Two major excavations were required, at the front and back of the building.

Total cost of repair was 3,000 pounds.

(I have to pay 1/8 of that total) - about 360 pounds.

Like this post
cruiser2

Likes # 0

Had a blockage in the main sewer pipe last year. Found this on a Friday afternoon about 3.00 p.m. We have cover for this under our house insurance policy at no extra charge. So rang the claims dept. They said someone would ring back within 30 minutes. Ten minutes later a company rang to say they would be with us by 4.00.p.m. They arrived before this and spent over an hour clearing the blockage. When the manhole cover in the drive was lifted, the manhole was full of solids. A long high pressure hose was pushed up the sewer pipe to clear the blockage and everthing was washed down. We had to sign a form to say the work had been completed satisfactorily, but we did not have to pay anything. Will have to wait till June when the policy is due for renewal to seeif the premium is increased.

Like this post
dms_05

Likes # 0

I live in a late Victorian property that was converted to apartments about 5 years ago. The drains have been a constant problem and the developer avoided any serious solution. We now have our own management company to cover items like this and we commissioned a full CCTV survey which included a full flush and video of the drains (cost £150). The problems could be easily seen and included old drains entering the main drain and the rubbish they were discharging into the drain. The problem is the drain really needs lining and whilst this can be done it costs £100/metre and we are looking at a £2,000 cost which we will have to pay in full.

Remember a change occurred last year and the Utility Company supplying the service is now responsible for some problems that previously were the property owners. In our case the shared nature of the building means were are responsible to our exterior boundary whereas a standard house is only responsible to the wall line of the house whence it becomes the Utility Company problem. If you have a shared drain you are responsible to the point where you join another user and it becomes a common drain.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

dms_05

This is a shared drain, but the blockage was in my pipe, so I cleared it. I did not think to check the House Insurance policy, I was more concerned with getting the pipe & toilet clear.

Luckily my access point is under a concrete (liftable) cover in the front garden about 5 feet from the down pipe so access was quite easy.

Aitch BEE

Sorry to hear that you had your share of troubles, hope that it will now remain all clear for you.With the type of blockage you had, it must have building for a while, or are you in a shared 'Flat' or similar where someone has been putting thing like disposable nappies and sanitary towels etc down the toilet.

I think I will try and remember to do a routine flush (as my post) every year 'Just to be on the safe side'.

Terry

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Terry Brown - the problem had been ongoing for about ten years.

It was a physical blockage of the drain. The duct had caved in at two seperate points...a cctv had been done...and I saw with my own eyes, the blockages.

After, about, 15 bills for blocked drains...this might be the last...for a while,anyway.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have drain rods and a high pressure jet with a drain "mouse" which I use very couple of months. As my house is off the main road and down a slope I have a pumping station with an automatic pump - I occasionally have to pay for a sludge gulper, so am relatively familiar with what goes down drains!!

Like this post
ronalddonald

Likes # 0

When our drain was blocked the wc etc it turned out to be tree leaves.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

You just need three things: 1) drain rods 2) pressure washer 3) strong stomach

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...