We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Warning: Amazon guarantees worthless on Marketplace

incognitii

Likes # 0

Warning: Neither Amazon nor Credit Card Companies will compensate for losses on purchases on Amazon Marketplace (Three-Cornered Transactions)

Read This Forum:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/forum/deals/ref=cmcdtfpeftfttp?encoding=UTF8&cdForum=Fx1DEIHNWYF5SA9&cdThread=Tx2XUCFKZHNVLZS

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

I buy a lot from Amazon, so, in my own interests I referred them to this thread. Here is an extract of their reply:

"We require all Marketplace transactions to be paid through Amazon.co.uk Marketplace. This means your purchase is backed by Amazon's A-to-z Safe Buying Guarantee, which protects purchases of up to 2,000 GBP, allowing you to shop with greater confidence."

From this, it appears that if you follow their rules you ARE protected.

HM

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest, would it be the same case with a purchase on Ebay, paying through PayPal with a credit card?

I ask because last night I purchased an item from Ebay, and because it was over £100 I used my credit card to pay for the item, in this instance it's till a 4 cornered transaction, or 5 if you count Ebay & PayPal as separate entities Me - Bank - PayPal - Ebay - Seller

Like this post
incognitii

Likes # 0

@Hondaman

Did you ask them why their responses to the posters on the linked thread appear to indicate this is not so?

A typical example:

"I have just been phoned by Amazon and after half an hour it was clear that I was being given the brush off. They did not want to know and they admitted that the 'Amazon cover' was very limited and they were certainly not going to do anything in this matter."

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

alan14

Don't worry. You are protected by the eBay Buyer Protection guarantee.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

HondaMan

"From this, it appears that if you follow their rules you ARE protected."

Amazon operates a customer protection scheme which will pay out up to £2000 to a purchaser if a participation merchant fails to deliver goods, or wrongly describes them on the site. In the case I mentioned neither of those two preconditions applied.

If you read what I usually have to say about Amazon you'll know that I am one of the company's greatest fans; I've lost count of the number of times I've extolled its virtues and its attitudes to online trading. I have personally carried out hundreds of transactions with Amazon over the years, and have never experienced a single problem.

The problem I mentioned is ongoing, but I'm not at liberty to divulge any details in the forum. I'll get it resolved, but it shouldn't have been necessary for me to become involved in the first place.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I have always found both Amazon and Ebay very reliable at resolving any "issues" that may arise. The only difference I've noticed is that Amazon tend to be a lot speedier. Ebay and Paypal insist on a fairly tortuous process, that you need to follow carefully, to get satisfaction. Ebay's customer service can be very frustrating, but they always get there in the end.

Like this post
HondaMan

Likes # 0

FE

Exactly.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I am not convinced by the Amazon A-Z guarantee after my first experience of it in action. I bought an Epson Printer back in December last year and thought nothing of the fact that it had been supplied via marketplace. Initially, the printer worked fine, for 3 weeks, although my suspicions should have been raised when the black cartridge was showing as nearly empty on day one!

By early January the printer decided overnight that it didn't recognise most of the inks. Even when I replaced them all with a set of compatibles. The seller responded to my complaint by trying to say I was out of the 30 day period for claims when I was not and suggested I take it to an Epson Centre for repair or replacement. At this point I contacted Amazon under the A-Z guarantee and lodged a claim.

Initially Amazon said they would follow this up which could take 3 weeks. Good job I have other printers! In the meantime I contacted Epson UK who confirmed to me that the cartridges supplied with their printer weren't theirs. Apparently it is not unheard of for suppliers to remove the Epson Cartridges, substitute cheap compatibles and then presumably supply others with the Epson Originals that Epson sell for £10.99 (There are 4 in a set)

Armed with this information I told Amazon who replied to my e-mails that they wouldn't interfere stating "Amazon.co.uk Guarantee policy only covers situations in which the merchandise has not been received or is different from the item described on the product detail page."

Well it clearly was and I pointed this out again to no avail. The seller was now obviously aware of this and sent me a new set of Epson Branded inks but the quality of the prints were simply poor. They eventually agreed to collect the printer and refund my money.

Amazon - not at all interested even though I offered them proof that the inks were not Epson originals. As a result I have a disallowed claim on the A-Z and have only 4 more available to me. I bought a new Epson printer from the local supermarket which cost £12 less than previous and the cartridges are Epson Branded and work perfectly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia