We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virgin media price increase

polish

Likes # 0

a short while ago virgin media announced a free speed upgrade on there internet speed today i received a letter announcing a four pound a month price increase so not exactly free.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Got my letter in the other day so phoned them to tell them I wanted to close my account with them as they were getting to expensive.

Gave me the cut off date for next month,I told them I was not interested in cutting down my existing bundles when asked.But they did offer just the phone and broadband for £25 a month without the freeview that I get now.

That was a saving of £6 a month but told them to go ahead and cut me off.

They phoned back about 5 minutes later and said they made a slight mistake and that they could cut it down to £23.50 a month without the Freeview.

Total saving £7.50 a month.

It gives me 4 weeks to look around to see if I can get it cheaper elsewhere.

I have also found out that the more and bigger bundles that you have with Virginmedia the more you have to pay.Terrible way to look after your best customers.

So much for there free broadband upgrade.

They never once said you have a contract with us you will need to continue to pay for that if you want to leave.

As they have changed the phone bundle that I had, I take it that they have broke the contract and would not be able to force me to keep on paying. At least I hope it is that way that it works.

They have put my daughters payments up an extra £4.40 a month so just another one going to jump ship and go elsewhere.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

I can understand why you are miffed buteman, as I can also get Infinity & have a Sky dish & cabling to the back of the telly & out of contact I'm going to give them a call as I think I can do better esp with the new customer Sky HD packages.

If I get a few quid off it will be worth it.

Like this post
polish

Likes # 0

iam going to stay with virgin for now and reduce my broadband speed after the speed increase in the summer it will be faster than sky as they say between 12-18 meg depending on who else is using the line.i like virgin and have never really had any problems but the way the have gone about things is very poor free speed increase then a couple of weeks later put the price up

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I'm just looking forward to the end of the year, when, fingers crossed, we should have Infinity, as an alternative. At least, then, I will have something to switch TO, if it's a better deal.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Telephone charges.

If you are a heavy user, have a look at the Virginmedia packages, or use a 3rd party like First Telecom for your calls

http://firsttelecom.com/other-products/cable-saver,

where you pay your rental to Virginmedia and the calls to First Telcom-- Check prices.The also do a good package for BT.

The downside, you do not get free weekend calls

Terry

Like this post
roy

Likes # 0

Nobody has mentioned Plusnet. See here http://www.plus.net/fibre-broadband/?source=subBox

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Any other ISP that does a phone bundle where you do not need a BT phone line or a Virginmedia one.Most you need a BT connection which I don't have.

Like this post
joe95

Likes # 0

I've just had a letter from virgin increasing monthly fee thinking of going with Plusnet but what are the alternatives for the tv my tv has basic freeview

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nice chappie on the phone today offered me a reduction on my payments 20 odd extra TV Channels.double the broadband that I am getting just now and 2 months free payments with a new 12 month contract.

I don't know why they don't do special deals for pensioners who sort of struggle with the higher payments every year.

Anyway a good result and we are fairly happy with the new deal.

Looks like you are stuck with me for another year then as the only thing that I could maybe have done without was the broadband.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

OMG turned the TV on tonight and as promised the extra channels were already there.

Did a speed test and my 10 mb had been upped to 20Mb.

My goodness they wasted no time with there upgrade lets hope everything else promised works out as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room