We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

virgin media price increase

polish

Likes # 0

a short while ago virgin media announced a free speed upgrade on there internet speed today i received a letter announcing a four pound a month price increase so not exactly free.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

They've had to put the prices up now, to pay for the FREE upgrade!!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

If you don't want to pay then leave for someone else. There are many very good deals available from other suppliers.

Like this post
mole44

Likes # 0

Condons right,jumping the broadband ship for some where else is not a good idea.remember unless BT have an optic fibre network in your area whoever you get to supply you with broadband it still comes down the same ols copper wire from your local exchange. Virgin yes copper wire to your house but less distance from your local street caninet,resutl of this is better speeds and consistancy of service,

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Virgin play on the fact that you take their phone package along with the broadband so that if you then want to go elsewhere you have to pay BT over £100 to get reconnected.

What has probably happened is when you signed up for Virgin you were given a 1 year deal at a cheaper price and now they want to charge you the normal price.

It is then up to you to get back on to Removals from Virgin and try and get your £4 extra reduced for another year.

If you don't mind your phone number from getting changed and you have finished your sign up contract with them and they are not willing to reduce the £4 Tell them in removals that you want to leave them.

You have to give them a month to cut you off and in that month they will phone you a few times to offer you a better deal.

If they don't and you get cut off just rejoin as a new customer with benefits of getting the reduced payments that new customers get.

It does not usually get to that stage as they usually phone a few times before cutting you off offering a reduced payment.

I have not had any warning that my Bills are going up £4 so can only assume it is the package that you took out when joining them that has finished.

Like this post
polish

Likes # 0

i have been with cable since its introduction in my area about 18 years ago it is not so much the price increase its just about the way they say on one hand free speed upgrade then a couple of weeks later put up the package price

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

polish

If you think the extra £4 is not justified you have to tell them so.If it was a new package that you applied for and they want to charge you the proper going rate for that package now there is not a lot you can do about it except go down the route that I previously mentioned.

Rather than loose you they would prefer to keep you and may offer another discount but it all depends how forceful you are with your approach to them.

When I said forceful I should have added always to be polite at the same time,You could tell them that you cant afford to pay the extra £4 and you will have to leave them and wait and see what they say.

Did they give a reason why they were putting your payments up.

Sky are giving some good deals at the moment and mind and say that to them if they ask where you were thinking of going to.

I must admit if they try and put mine up another £4 they will be coming to take it away.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I think a lot depends on the package you have. Virginmedia is trying to persuade people on the basic tariff to get a better (from their point of view)package.

I am on the XL for TV, Standard phone and 10mb (soon to be 20mb) internet, and because I have complained every time they put the price, I get a £20 a month 'discount' and free dir enquiries, o845 numbers and other perks.

It pays to be a moaner, as if you do not moan (complain) you get charged the full price every time -- Think of it as 'Haggling'.

Terry

Like this post
polish

Likes # 0

i will speak to them and also to sky to see exactly what there best price would be thanks every for there input.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

polish

I did mean sort of hint that you may go to Sky just to see what they say.

Just heard this morning that they are putting up my Sister in laws bill by £3.50 a month.I can see them having a lot of very unhappy customers.

She stays north of the border just wondered what area you stayed just in case they are targeting folk from the one area.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I live in Bournemouth, and ours is going up £4. What's really annoying is that Bournemouth was supposed to be the flagship town for universal broadband, and Virgin are still the only real fibreoptic ISP, for bundled services, and that's not FTTH.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...