We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for laptop advice, help appreciated.

Encomium

Likes # 0

Hello,

I'm getting quite exasperated at my laptop, and I've decided to get a new one. I think I'll go for a 15" since I travel with my laptop practically every day and weight is an issue, but my 12.1" is too much of a sacrifice in screen size for weight reduction/battery life.

I only just started looking but I'm really not sure where to start. I'm not a gamer, but I use some fairly cpu-intensive software on a daily basis -- stuff like ArcInfo, AutoCAD, Autodesk 3D Studio Max, Adobe CS applications, etc. Of those, the first one is probably the most relevant, since my ArcMap crashes a lot or locks my laptop up for hours when I'm doing particularly large spatial analyses.

The best sellers on amazon look interesting enough -- 400 quid for 6gb RAM and what look like decent processors, although a review mentioned that the video card is rubbish. I don't mind spending a bit more than 400 but there comes a point where I'd rather not throw more money at incremental upgrades.

thanks for any help!

Like this post
Encomium

Likes # 0

Clarification -- by 'amazon best sellers' I mean the Acer Aspire models -- this one the most relevant: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-i3-370M-Processor-Windows-Premium/dp/B006NTS5QS/ref=zgbs429886031_2

The HP Pavilion G7 also looks interesting.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Acer is probably a good choice in terms of "bang for your buck". Whilst I don't know all your software, I tend to think your choice may be a bit light, it terms of graphics. That only has integrated graphics, and that chip's is "nothing special". The best advice I can give is to check the "minimum system requirements" on the software you are using, then have a look on somewhere like Simplyacer (they've got a decent rep.) If you do need decent graphics, they've got some in the £400's. If you don't actually NEED dedicated graphics, look for a laptop with a SandyBridge processor, then you will get, at least, decent intergrated graphics.

Like this post
Encomium

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply. I went to that site -- I kinda prefer this one -- http://www.simplyacer.com/AcerAspireTimelineX5820T1169099.html.

'Integrated Intel graphics' -- hmm, I've had really poor experience with Intel graphics card in the past, but that was years ago and things may have changed.

Like this post
Encomium

Likes # 0

http://www.simplyacer.com/AcerAspire5750G_1119850.html hm, this one actually looks worth the higher price

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Your link just took me to the general site, rather than specific laptop. In general, a SandyBridge processor, with integrated HD3000 graphics, is as good as a non-SB, with a basic dedicated card. A SB processor PLUS a basic graphics card, gives a decent bit of "clout". It's normally only with things like GAMING and HD VIDEO EDITING, which need more, but, again, you would need to check the specs on YOUR software.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September