We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Infrequent printing

Picklefactory
Resolved

Likes # 0

Hello folks I've dug out lots of specific info on laser v inkjet re: costs v quality etc, but can't find too much on this particular question, which is my main priority.

I've had various inkjets (Mostly Epson) over the years, and whilst they give very good quality prints, I find them infuriating due to the fact that I rarely use them, so they are forever dried up when I do and I then have all the cleaning, charging, wastage issues that ensue from under use. My usage is not likely to increase greatly and I'm almost sold on replacing with a budget colour laser based on my impression that the infrequent use issue will not be a problem with laser toner. Could any experienced laser users comment on this view please? I only use for general printing, documents etc, and maybe the very occasional photo for home use only. I'd say, on average, we only print maybe 6 or so A4 sheets per month.

I'm considering one of these two Konica or Epson

Any suggestions please?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I bought a Colour laser for almost the same reason as you, a Samsung CLP - 325. It will be expensive to replace the Cartridges but there is no waste as far as I can judge.

Printing Photos: Do not try to use InkJet Photo Paper ~ the Glaze will stick to your Drum and cause terminal Damage.

There is Laser Specific Paper available, but I have been told that reproduction is not as good as an Ink Jet. However, I am getting quite passable reproduction on Morrisons Cheapo Cheapo paper. Not good enough for Granny but you can see what the Photo is of.

Like this post
Paulius55

Likes # 0

I also switched to a colour laser on the grounds that it is always ready, no matter how often, or not, you use it. I seemed to be forever cleaning printheads, wasting paper and ink in the process, when I had inkjets. I now have a Konica-Minolta 2530DL and I am very pleased with it. It is relatively fast, always works, general printing on plain paper is very good, photos are acceptable and I bought a set of high capacity compatible toners for £90 which have lasted 3 years so far with plenty of life left.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

In that third paragraph, the words "Laser Specific Paper" should have read "Laser Specific Photo Paper"

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Thanks both, that's really what I was hoping to hear. I know lasers aren't perfect for everything, but with the rarity of the printing I do, ppm, pure colour for photo's, cost per print etc, etc, really aren't an issue, I just want a respectable standard of print that ALWAYS happens at very infrequent periods without fuss. The cost per page could be as much as 20p or more, being as I only print about 60 or so pages a year, it hardley amounts to much and I'd hope that even the low capacity OEM drums will probably last me a year or two. I'll leave unresolved for a day or so for any other little gems of info. Thanks so far all

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Dont leave a laser printer switched on when it's not in use, they are fairly power hungry and leaving the fans on for days on end makes dust collect on the mirrors and the colours can get out of adjustment.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Why not buy a mono laser printer and get your photos printed either online or at the supermarket?

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The advantage of a Colour Laser Printer is that one can create nifty Coloured Letterheads, without the need to have any Stationary printed.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Thanks all, for more good info and hints.

alan14

I could do that if it were only photos I print in colour, but when I do print documents etc, many of those are in colour so monochrome won't do I'm afraid, but thanks for the suggestion.

Like this post  
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Think I'll tick as resolved now, thanks for all the input folks

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Just a quick update for anyone interested.

I finally plumped for a Konica Minolta Magicolor 1600W and got it for £92 all in. Had a slight glitch on initial start up, but once I sorted that out it is quite impressive, at least it is to me. So far so good, I'll try and remember to update in a few months time. I'm also planning to try and do my own toner refills, I'll update on that too when I get to it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...