We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Distance selling regulations

Linkslade

Likes # 0

Anyone familiar with the above?

Bought a recorder on Amazon September 2011 which has stopped working.

Their website refers only to 30 day returns. I'm wondering if at six months there is an entitlement to return goods and if anyone done so.

All advice appreciated.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I'll transfer this to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner, and respond to your question there.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Now that we're in Consumerwatch, here's the position regarding your recorder. You don't say what kind of recorder it is, so I'm going to assume it's a DVD recorder, and not a musical instrument.

The terms of The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations (2002) assume that a fault which reveals itself within six months of the date of purchase was present on that date, and you do not have to prove anything. It is assumed that the goods were faulty, and a seller must prove otherwise in order to avoid having to repair or replace the item.

In practice it's very difficult for a seller to provide such proof,and you can request a repair or a replacement. It's up to the seller to decide which option to go for, but if a repair is offered it must be completed to your satisfaction within a reasonable time frame. The law doesn't define what is 'reasonable' in this context, but two or three weeks seems to be generally accepted as the norm - certainly no more than a month.

If a repair or a replacement is not a practicable option then you can claim a partial or full refund, depending on the circumstances.

I hope that helps. If you contact the seller, make sure that any negotiations are confirmed (by you) via email.

You may find that although you made your purchase via the Amazon site the real seller is actually another company - an Amazon 'partner'. In that case you will need to follow the Amazon procedure for making a claim.

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

Thank you Mr Editor, most informative, everything I need to know is outlined there.

It is video recorder and was purchased on the 9th September 2011 so it's two days inside the six months period.

I will contact Amazon at once and register the problem.

Many thanks.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Good luck. Perhaps you'll update your thread as and when there's some progress?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Linkslade

If it was bought on 7th September you're over a month inside the 6 month period

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

This is just the normal Sale of Goods Act, as the FE said not the Distance Selling Regulations.

The Distance Selling Regs give you the right to return a perfectly serviceable and working item within 7 days, simply because you don't like it.

The intention is to compensate for the fact that in a store you would have had a chance to see and maybe handle the items.

When distance buying you are, ostensibly, buying sight unseen.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

(Linkslade

If it was bought on 7th September you're over a month inside the 6 month period)

When I was at school some 55 years ago 7th September to 7th February (todays date) was 5 months

If an electrical item over £100 fails out side the guarantee period it is covered by The Sale of Goods Act as Being Not Fit for Purpose. The usual period is taken as 6 years

Like this post
Linkslade

Likes # 0

As requested an update on current situation.

Following the editor's response I contacted Amazon who were very helpful and immediately arranged for the recorder to be collected and a replacement delivered tomorrow 8th September.

Thanks to all for the advice given and top marks to the ones who spotted my deliberate mistake regarding the date!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Thanks for the update

I hope that all will now be well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

romanby1

"If an electrical item over £100 fails out side the guarantee period it is covered by The Sale of Goods Act as Being Not Fit for Purpose. The usual period is taken as 6 years"

That's not strictly true - there's no 'usual period'. The length of time that an item should last will obviously vary, depending on what it is, and in the event of a court action each case is taken on its merits. Various trade associations will advise on average life expectancies however,and that information can be useful when dealing with a supplier.

This case doesn't rely on the Sale of Goods Act however, it is covered by the The Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations (2002).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?