We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New All in One Printer Scanner - Cartridge costs

Border View

Likes # 0

I currently use separate excellent Canon scanner and printer. Space is becoming an issue and I think an all in one printer scanner will help.

I have always used Canon ink cartridges after my previous printer went belly up having used compatables.

Can anyone please recommend an all in one where brand cartridges are not too expensive. I am open to all brands not just Canon. My printing requirements are not a lot of photographs, mainly office documents. I do like to scan photographs though.

Your help and advice would be appreciated.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I have used a Canon MP 640 for the uses you describe for a couple of years and find the photo printing and scanning excellent; it has wireless. I use Canon inks, but for larger numbers of snapshot style prints, I edit the pix on the PC and reload them to a SD card and get them printed at ASDA (cheaper than home printing), or an on line print shop. I also have a Canonscan 8800f for slide and negative scanning. I would go for an updated Canon MP in your range.There is a small issue with TWAIN software and Photoshop CS5 where it installs in W7 in both 32 and 64 bit; only the 32 bit works with TWAIN, but that is not a problem for me.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I bought an Epson SX535WD recently and pleased with it. The high yield cartridges have reputedly a low cost. Epson and other manufacturers give figures but suspect that they may be a bit like quoted mpg figures.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I have a number of printers, of which most are not used now, because of various costs of repair or ink replacement problems. Cheaper to use a few times, then perhaps recycle, than buy original cartridges!.

One of the cheapest methods of ink solutions is using a CISS or individual cartridge refill units. The other alternative is self-fill, using 100ml bottles of ink and topping-up cartridges as required.

I find one of my present solutions to all-in-ones is possibly Brother, because I have a Brother DCP-135C printer that as four separate tanks, and I can purchase each compatible cartridge for about 50 pence each (usually mixed sets of 12 cartridges). The cartridges seem to last for ages,on daily use, including the more frequently used black. The other colour's are very rarely changed.

A week ago, I purchased a Canon Pixma MX-410 4in 1 plus WiFi for £39.99 from Staples (in-store or delivered free). Checking the ink for that, seems rather expensive, but if you buy a top-up kit, then the cost reduces considerably, making it a well worth buy.

Like this post
Border View

Likes # 0

Many thanks for responding john bunyan, Woolwell and spuds.

I have not come across a top up system before so shall look into that. The cost of replacement cartridges is a minefield. I had thought about a CISS when I bought my current printer but never got around to it. So thats another factor to take into consideration.

I shall monitor this posting to see if anyone responds. The MX 410 sounds interesting.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I've got a Canon MP640, and have been using "compatables", at around £10 a set. However, as I kept getting "Ink cartridge not found" error messages, I've just splashed out £40 on a set of Canon cartridges. It will be interesting to see if that stops the error messages.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

frybluff

You might find that is possibly due to a cartridge chip. If you check YouTube or Google, you might find a way to overcome this?.

Sometimes its a simple job of resetting the chip?.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

Spuds. Thanks for that. To be fair to Canon, they did offer to give it a check-up free of charge (just out of warranty), if I took it to their local service centre. That sounded like a better offer, before I found out their "local" depot was 80 miles away. It would have cost me more to get it there and back, than to buy a new one. Printers are so cheap, these days, I think manufacturers only make their profit from the inks. Perhaps it's unfair to read too much into that.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Kodak have the cheapest genuine cartridges, currently £15 a pair from Amazon

http://shop.kodak.co.uk/store/ekconseu/enGB/pd/HERO7.1All-in-OnePrinter/productID.235648900

Like this post
Epson_Kid

Likes # 0

The thing to do before buying a new printer is to check the volume of ink in the ink cartridges that it takes and compare this to the price you are paying. I would also check to see if a compatible or remanufactured ink cartridges are available for the said printers (if so, this can drastically reduce your long-term purchase costs). You may also find it is more cost-effective and economical to buy a more expensive printer which has cheaper running costs, especially if you are an heavy user. For a light user, you can thus conclude that a cheap printer with more expensive ink cartridges would be a better buy - but this is down to personal preference.

With compatible ink cartridges I would recommend buying a recognised brand such as Jet Tec, who are based in the UK - they also have a decent range or printer cartridges and openly state the volume of ink in the cartridges. Also, many of their cartridges contain "Extra Life". This means that they will last longer than the Epson, Canon, Brother, HP, etc ink cartridge. Jet Tec ink cartridges are generally more expensive than other compatible inkjet cartridges, but in my experience this is worth-while.

Many online ink retailers sell Jet Tec, but I use UK Ink Supplies as they offer free next-day delivery and stock my son's foreign ink caridges (Epson T0731 range)

Hope that helps?

James.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more