We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Debit card payment without pin

ICF
Resolved

Likes # 0

Just been to Liverpool airport short stay car park.On third floor there was no option to pay by cash only by card.I put in my card and then noticed there wasn't a keypad to in put my pin. The machine took payment without the pin how can this be possible?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

The handling fee goes up for unsecured payments - so the car-park makes less money per transaction - but still enough to make a profit!

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If you are in doubt, then contact your card provider for further details.

One of our local outlets have recently changed some of their machines, and it leading to all sorts of confusion.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Just wondered if anybody else had paid for car parking at Liverpool and experienced the same.

Is it possible to obtain money from my bank account via my debit card without the input of my pin?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Think about on line purchases. No PIN is needed but they do ask for the 3 digit security number. Is this encoded on the card somehow ?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

The pin is simply an anti fraud device.

Even if someone used a stolen card to pay parking charges, the car park would almost certainly be well covered with CCTV, making them not too difficult to trace.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

No! A lot of transactions ask for your address, as security, and/or a verification code (depending on your bank), but debit card security, and protection are pretty thin. I think VISA is the only card that offers any real protection, like a credit card. I tend to use a pre-paid credit card online, unless I know (and trust) the site I'm dealing with, for small transactions. It's about the safest way (worth the 3% handling charge).

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

I think due to the small amount of the transaction they will not loose much money if a stolen card was used.

When I have used a Debit or Credit card in a car park I have never had to use my pin number.

Like this post
ICF

Likes # 0

Cheers everybody. This is the first time I have encountered this method of payment at a car park there is usually a cash option.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The payment machines in Shudehill bus station car park in Manchester are the same - I use the car park a lot and have never had a problem, although the payments seem to take a couple of extra days before they show on my account.

Like this post  
ICF

Likes # 0

Alan14 Cheers thats good to know

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 release date, price, features. The next version of Windows will run on everything:....

IDG UK Sites

An Apple fan's perspective on the Windows 10 launch

IDG UK Sites

Sensor-laden kids' watch with 3G launches in Japan

IDG UK Sites

2014 Retina iMac release date rumours, specs and features: 27in 5K Retina iMac 'launching this mont'......