We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

kobo/kindle

tallula

Likes # 0

I am about to start a Masters Degree. I will be able to download books onto an e-reader and need to do highlighting and annotations. Kindle or Kobo?

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I have a Sony e-reader (old) and have found it useful for reading but I found most of the textbooks I wanted were not available in e-format. New ones were but there was no substitute for paper, pen and highlighter.

The act of doing something like writing a note is more likely to 'stick' than clicking a key.

Back to the question - you would most likely need the top end version of either but I don't know what would be the better.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You can add annotations to Kindle books, getting the keyboard version would be advisable...

Like this post
tallula

Likes # 0

Very helpful comments, thanks. I agree that there is no substitue for sticky notes! I will probably use both methods It is useful to be able to add annotations, so thinking of the kindle touch.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Why not go for a small laptop or netbook and download Kindle app for it. It would give the advantage of a really usable keyboard as opposed to the Kindle 'you really need small fingers' keyboard. Other advantage is that it will have many other uses as well. Disadvantage is obviously battery life will not be so good and also it would be heavier and larger. With a small PC you could even use a 'sticky notes' program to have them on screen instead of littering the floor when the adhesive gives up.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

tallula

I'd advise against the Kindle Touch because the onscreen keyboard is next to useless, get the keyboard version

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

4G to get faster and cheaper with Freeview spectrum: We're in for a wait though

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?