We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Superfast Broadband Coming To My Market Town of Spalding?

VeteranCosmicRocker54

Likes # 0

Not long ago,our local newspaper announced Spalding will be getting superfast fibre optic broadband installed in the Spalding BT Exchange near the town centre.With a population of around 30,000 souls,this will be a welcomed upgrade for many people who live in the surrounding towns and villages.Living almost next door to the Exchange,my current download speed is 15.2mbps and my upload is 0.73mbps.The average speed away from the Exchange in nearby Pinchbeck for example is between 2 and 6mbps.

My provider is Talk Talk whom I've been with for the past few years.They will be rolling out fibre optic in January 2013 and I have already signed up to receive it in my home.This will mean I may get 40mbps download speed and it'll mean signing up for 18 months at an extra £10 per month which I'm happy to do.

For the vast majority,this new superfast broadband cannot come soon enough and am pleased that Lincolnshire County Council and South Holland District Council have been proactive.I'm very hopeful this new speed will bring new business to my town and county,and give everyone extra fast speeds to help with business and home user alike.

Are we unique in a rural town,or are other rural communities across our find lands going to get the same?It would be interesting to read your comments.

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Practically the whole of Cornwall's exchanges have been upgraded to fibre and Talk Talk have recently been in touch with me to sign up to it. When I first heard of it I couldn't wait for it to happen, but then looked at what I have already and decided to stay as I am.

A fibre upgrade would, according to TT, give me 'up to 15.2 Mbps' and would involve a new 18 month contract at £10 per month and a new and dearer 'Plus' broadband package. My exchange has already been upgraded and since then my broadband speed has more than doubled to just over 7 Mbps. This speed I find adequate for my purposes so until TT start putting the squeeze on my bandwidth I'll leave well alone.

One never knows but TT could come forward with a better and more tempting deal that might cause me to change. I live in hope. :o) TC.

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

I'm only a handful of miles outside Spalding. On a 'good' day over Christmas I was getting max 0.75mpbs. A very solid download speed in the wee hours is normally 2mbps.

There's no indication that we're in for an exchange upgrade either.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Whilst most of Cornwall is getting or already has FIBRE, here in Devon we have at least a year to wait, if not longer.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Have you noticed that as soon as one company updates their telephone / Internet lines, they all start to do it.

The reason is simple, would you stay with a slow / unreliable provider when a better one is available.

This is good news for all , as when a line is upgraded,eventually all the lower speed lines will be upgraded at (if you do not change your package) to a better speed

Terry

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

Here for info is the latest list I can find of pending exchange upgrades. TC.

list

Like this post
TopCat®

Likes # 0

It's possible the list I gave is for Talk Talk enabled exchanges only, so I include here the BT Openreach checking website for their customers' use. TC.

BT list

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

And no surprises there then. TopCat®'s BT List link shows my exchange as 'NC'. Looks like we'll be on no-so-broadband for a few years yet!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...