We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PLEASE help me decide - Samsung, Dell or Asus i3 laptop

mansla

Likes # 0

Hi folks, cannot decide on which budget laptop to buy due to being a complete novice. Have never had a laptop before and my last PC was a Dell desktop 7 years ago which is near enough dead now.

Will be using it for my business (remote admin work) and for general family use - lots of web browsing, emails, Word docs, excel, powerpoint, downloading music, family photos and videos.

I need reliability, good customer service, and speed of multitasking.

I cannot decide between the following 3 - they all have Intel 2nd Gen i3 2330 2.2ghz cup, Intel HD 3000 Graphics, 4GB RAM and 500GM hard drive, apart from the ASUS which has 6GB RAM. THey all have webcam, HDMI, wifi and bluetooth. The Dell has a USB 3 port but the others done but I dont think thats a big issue for me: Samsung RV520 Dell Inspiron 15R Asus K53E

They are all about the same price £400 ish. Does any one stand out in terms of reliability, quality of brand etc etc?

Thanks v much M

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I endorse Toshiba, reinforced by my local repair man, who says Toshiba are good with parts.. I have a 15.5in Satellite I think L655) as does my grand daughter.She sat on and broke the screen. My repair man recieved a screen the next day and it was repaired by day 2. (I did not use the repair facility at Currys where it was bought , who wanted over 2 weeks) I would reccomend a Toshiba in your price range, supplied by John Lewis, who give a 2 year guarantee (not for damage though!) Point is after sales and parts service should be an important feature.

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

FORUM EDITOR. I do appreciate that it is always easier to find negative comments about any manufacturer, than positive ones. However, having found it impossible to find info, I wanted, on Lenovo's website, I went to their "forum". I did, eventually, find the answer to my queries, but, in the process, had to plough through endless complaints about faulty, new computers and poor service, even the difficulty of finding anyone who speaks English. I know that's not a representative sample, but it still doesn't fill me with confidence. It doesn't help, either, that the tech spec and pricing for the Z570, seems to have "vanished" from the website. I really was interested in buying one, but have been put off.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

frybluff

"It doesn't help, either, that the tech spec and pricing for the Z570, seems to have "vanished" from the website. I really was interested in buying one, but have been put off."

Take a look at this

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Moto G2 (2014) vs Moto E comparison review: New Moto G is worth the extra cash

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Oculus Rift 'Crescent Bay' prototype hands-on: it's an amazing experience

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...