We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Amazon

gaslamp

Likes # 0

Be careful when buying from Amazon. They have sellers who lie and mess you about. Amazon also keep these sellers because they say they can't remove them from the Amazon Marketplace. Check the rating of such sellers before you send any money. Luckily I got my money back after sending a lot of emails to the seller and Amazon.

I am not buying anything else from Amazon unless I can be sure its from Amazon only. YOU have been warned, be very careful.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

One of the problems is Amazon MarketPlace, like eBay and one or two other similar outlets can make a substantial amount of money from their Power Sellers or major sellers.

Would you be prepared to lose an 8 time a year buyer, or a £thousand investor?.

There's a delicate balancing mechanism here, and I think customer feedbacks might show this ?.

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Bought a solar light that developed a fault just after the 30 day refund/replacement deadline and contacted Amazon who then sent out a replacement immediately. They said they was making an exception because I was a "regular" customer (I buy 2 or 3 items a month). They told me to return the faulty product otherwise my credit card will be charged. They provided a prepaid return label. I also had to return a footpump and received a refund, again using their prepaid return label. So very good and prompt service. Both times were purchased from Amazon directly.

What I don't understand is what if an item had developed a fault say after 2 months - would I have been entitled to a refund (no because of the 30 day limit) or replacement (no, also because of the 30 day limit?).

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

VNAM75

The 30 day limit is Amazon's own terms (similar to some other company's with same terms). If after the 30 days then consumer law would still be in your favour. If faulty after that time, then repair, replacement or if Amazon feels generous a refund. After 6 months you might need to prove the item is faulty, before then, you do not need to prove the item is faulty.

'Major' items could be covered for more than 12 months.

More information http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Spuds

You seem to be missing the point.

I had one problem , quickly resolved, however if Amazon gets multiple complaints about bad goods / services, it will take action against the company.

If I had bought the item from an Independent company /person, would I have received the same treatment??

Amazon is not made up of just one big seller, but multiple large (and small) sellers /buyers, and if it gets a bad reputation these will ALL suffer and so will Amazons profits.

Terry

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Terry Brown

That's why I suggested "There's a delicate balancing mechanism here, and I think customer feedbacks might show this?".

Like this post
VNAM75

Likes # 0

Spuds, I know about the 30 day Amaazon policy and the statutory rights but was just a bit weary of how Amazon worded their email, ie. it implied that I was only getting the replacement due to an action of their goodwill. I don't doubt at all that Amazon will fulfill their statutory obligations without hesitation. May be it was just a one off with the customer service person.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

No problems so far with Amazon and I have been buying for many years from them and other sellers. I check them out first before purchasing as I do with eBay.

Over 500 buys from eBay and two bad buys, and sorted by eBay with refunds.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote