We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Massive problems with PCWORLD KnowHow & no realistic loan laptop

lappy78

Likes # 0

I bought a £1,299 laptop from pcworld buisness, with £569 Premium cover.

2 years later, Medically, I already had bone damaged injured nose, with a 5mm hole through it, it blocked, could not breath, This together with finding out they suspected I now had cancer, on top of liver failure caused massive anxiety attack, I miss stepped & fell down multi story car park concerete stairwell, laptop smashed. Caused 1.5cm hole in my nose

Despite premium cover, rang for collection, or engineer, told no collection from my house for a week so took it to store 9th Jan.
Even then, It could not be collected until 13th Jan no vans, So it took minimum 5 days to collect policy states within 2 days. They are instantly to send us a loan set, which never happened.

EXPLAINING AS of the 21 Jan 2012 FROM THEIR OWN HISTORY RECORDS WHICH SHOW

Weird things, but I have asked all the qustions, the collection job was scrapped on the 13 Jan, & re-booked on the 13th, now to be collected on the 27th, & returned to me on the 3rd Feb.  However, it also shows, emergency private currier booked to collect on 13th & was delived to repair works on the 16th Jan.

Factually laptop was not even looked at until 9.30am 18th Jan.

Under rules, time limit is 7 days to be returned to me, or 10 days, if via store. Mon/Tue/Wed/Thu/Fri/Sat/Sun/Mon/Tue/Wed 18th "10 days" So it has to be back with me in my possession, yet only just looked at.

At 9.35 despite being out of repair time, & me every day asking for repair back or replacement, yet out of time, it is branded as excessive damage, & sent to PCWORLD Fraud ?.

We rang at 9.40 on the 19th, & told just gone to fraud dept ?.

Concerned, by chance asking questions, we contact repairs, 19th at 11am, & explained what had happened, are now told, repair was out of time & should not have been sent to fraud, & the accident I described was correct to the damage, I was told she had just written it off, & would get vouchers, worry no more. 11 am Records show write off as stated by her, she had requested vouchers.

However 19th at 4.30pm records show, claims investigations, cancel the write off, it is to be returned to store 20th, with letter from fraud, Gary Perrymet, going to ask how it happened. Saying down A FEW CARPETED HOUSE STAIRS ????, would not have damaged the screen & case. So fraud.

On the 20 & 21st, records show, still in repairs, NEVER returned to store. ( As of 21/1/2012 utterly no letter or email to me This is what I am finding out, by others loking at others notes. )

20th Jan, agent, by chance mentions this note by fraud about falling down house stairs query as reason for refusal, & I told him what had happened in car park stairs. He said, there is no mention about house, just "Fell down Stairs" Yet fraud had assumed it was inside a house ????.

We post & emailed served notice today on the chief exec of 7 days before we issue in the County Court.

AVIVA Our insurance Co, advise, when I ask them, they will get us new laptop & or sue PCWORLD under our own legal protection policy, They will either way, get the money from them.

Email & via spec del, letter & 3 departments, hospital reports have been sent to Chief Exec, showing 3 medical reports, on the 9th Jan, they saw me with view, to repair a prior small hole in my nose the central bone tissue had died, because of using nazal sprays over 22 years, & now 9th it was 1.5 CM, In the fall my finger had banged a big hole through, & " I now needed Nose removal " & rebuild. They advise, would have to do surgery, but needed confirmation, from liver expert, I was up to complicated surgery, as diagnosed with liver damaged & failure, Other report letters, say were doing on 10th Jan, more tests for bowel & other caners, as constantly loosing blood. I mention this to explain the anxiety attack, after getting blood results back, & informed, by mistake they were doing more tests for cancer etc. Hence when I had an anxiety atack, it was for good reason, I do not think, a person, would push finger through a small hole in their nose, unless by accident. making it confirmed 1.5cm on 9th.

We now await until Monday when the Chief exec, gets the letters' & reports

What is important to everyone, is the above cover, we are entitled to a loan set. We never got one, yet asked every day. As described to C/E.

In these many calls, we were told they had, thousand of people elligible to get a loan laptop, & each week say had 400 requests, yet they only had a hand full say 6. yet they needed 400, described to me, we had more chance of winning on the lottery. Hence we have made frrdom of inormation request, & told the C/E, to us, the implied terms, loan set if available, is totally miss leading, as change of getting one ever was next to NIL.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I sympathise with your health problems, but with respect they aren't relevant to your dispute with PC World.

That all boils down to a simple issue - that you claim the company isn't meeting its obligations under the terms of the Premium Cover policy you paid for. It's difficult for any of us to comment without having details of the cover you paid for.

If you are referring to the 'Whatever Happens' Premier cover, the terms state that If PCW can’t fix your problem within 7 days, you can request a replacement product to the equivalent specification. You are also guaranteed a 'next day' courier collection if you aren't taking the laptop to the store.

You state that neither of these terms were complied with, and if that's correct, PCW was in breach of its contract with you. You say that you were told the laptop had been written off, but that PCW has failed to supply a voucher for a new machine. The company has cancelled the voucher because it suspects a fraudulent claim.

If that's a reasonable description of the circumstances my opinion is that you wait for a reaction to the letter you have sent, and let us know what response the company makes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers