We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unified Extensible Firmware Interface

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

From reading a recent report I see that W8 is to cause the traditional BIOS to become a thing of the past.

Is this progress in real terms or another option for MS to gain control over the use of their products and what will it mean for those who have no wish to use Windows or to dual boot?

There may also be the opportunity for MS to get things wrong and prevent operation of PCs. How does this sit with potential users?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Apple did away with BIOS years ago, so really it's just MS catching up

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

alan14

I was unaware of that, but then how many Apple users have a dual booted system or buy an 'off-the-shelf' PC to run Mac OS (I don't think it's actually possible). This is a major difference between Mac users and others surely?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

From what I have read about Windows 8 it may not be possible to duel boot with say Linux along side windows 8.

One other thing is that any software or firmware will have to be certified to get the PC to boot, in effect locking your PC to Microsoft.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

johndrew

No, legally you can't install MacOS on anything other than Apple approved hardware, but that's just Apple being extremely annoying.

MacOS is built on BSD, which is a form of Unix, it runs on the same hardware as a Windows PC, so there is nothing stopping you from installing MacOS X on an off the shelf PC, and many people have done it

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-mac-os-x-on-a-pc-without-using-a-mac/

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

UEFI mobo's have been around for a while now. In most cases it will only save a few seconds of boot time (ie the POST time of a BIOS motherboard)

johndrew: it's very possible to load OSx onto a 'normal' PC. It's not quite a straight installation, but there are plenty of guides on how to do it without spending any money.

carver: "One other thing is that any software or firmware will have to be certified to get the PC to boot, in effect locking your PC to Microsoft."

Interesting....but I don't understand! Can you explain?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Consumerwatch from Speakers Corner.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

OTT_B It's only from various sites I have seen and read enter link description here

There are quite a few sites also mentioning the same thing, basically unless it is sighed off by Microsoft the PC will not boot

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK