We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Download speed checkers

frybluff
Resolved

Likes # 0

I, occassionally, run a speed tester to check what I'm getting. I use the same one, each time, and usually get around 19 down 2 up. Fair enough, as I'm paying for 20. Yesterday, by accident, I used a different tester, which gave figures of 8 down and 2 up. I did try both twice, to insure it wasn't just a momentary "blip", and got different readings again. Now I'm confused. Is there any way to KNOW which is incorrect? Is there one that is, sort of, certified as being accurate? Many thanks.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

There no such thing as being 100% accurate, because different speed testers have their own way of doing things. One particular difference might be your locations, as to the server route the test uses. In England, there are three main route servers- London Docklands, Birmingham and Manchester.

If you use some ISP recommended speed tests, then you might be able to route via your own requirements. One site is http://www.speedtest.net give you the option, and is recommended by TalkTalk, when they do tests.

I use a number of speed test downloads for making a comparison, but I find that Jack Dinn's speed tester fairly good, because this allows you to do various other checks (trace/mtu etc), if the connection and speed requires checking.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If you can spare the time run this one, most of it is free.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...