We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wanting to buy a Netbook, advice appreciated!

gazmix

Likes # 0

Hi

I'm wanting to buy a Netbook! I've seen one in my local cash converters for £149. I can't recall the make off by heart, will post back to tell specs, but i know it has 160G HD, 1G RAM ( i think).

I don't like touch screens, just like the mini laptop style. What are the pro's & cons!

I am also living in a city center, so i guess i may be in a free wifi hotspot! Does this mean that in my flat i won't need a mobile internet dongle or BT connection.

Thanks

Gaz

Like this post
ame

Likes # 0

Other end of the netbook spectrum is this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-IdeaPad-S205-11-6-Netbook/dp/B005TPRWNY/ref=sr11?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1326835450&sr=1-1 which will perform much better and last longer in terms of running new software etc. Twice the price but most netbooks have slow processors, not mutch ram capacity, etc. Remember you get no cd/dvd drive either with a netbook, which can be a pain sometimes if installing/reinstalling software. Free wifi tends to be pretty slow even if you are within range. You may get frequent dropped connections too.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Unless you really only want it to access the web and email then think about a small laptop instead. Netbooks are pretty slow for anything at all serious. If its in Cash converters for £149 you can reckon that they only gave about £50 for it so you will be just as well off looking on eBay as you will not get a warranty from Cash Converters.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

ok thanks!, i thought a netbook was a small laptop?, what is the difference?

i will post a little later the make as i've only seen it in the window, it may even be a small laptop!

Is there no warranty/guarantee at all at cash converters?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Netbooks have small screens, normally don't have an optical drive, and a low grade processor. They are only really suitable for e-mail and browsing the net. If you want to play a cd or dvd then you can get an external drive. A laptop is altogether more sophisticated. Personally I would rather have a tablet than a netbook.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

Emailing & browsing the net & youtube is all i would need it for as i have a pc set up somewhere else!

I will post later the make & model & specs of this item i have seen!

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

Ok, i have visited the shop & checked out the 2 that i've had my eye on.

An Emachines 350 with Windows XP, 1GB RAM, 160 GB HD, Intel Atom CPU that is £149.99.

also they have a Netbook with a minor fault in that when you move the screen, occasionally it goes white, maybe a faulty wire & the function key is not working. This is a Samsung NC10 with 250GB HD & 1Gb RAM at £90.. This looks nice & i saw it in action & the issue with the screen hardly occurs & maybe is fixable for a minimal cost!

I'd appreciate any help & will check back tomorrow.

Gaz

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

If you are certain that you really want a netbook you could look on Argos eBay site Argos eBay where they have refurbished netbooks with a 12 month guarantee and around the £150 that you are looking to spend.

Like this post
gazmix

Likes # 0

I will have a look on argos ebay site later, i just wondered if anyone could recomend one of the above models i mentioned.

Is the argos site a 'buy now' or 'bid' site.

Thanks

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"Is the argos site a 'buy now' or 'bid' site." Go to the site and you will find out.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon, Argos, eBay,...

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday feeding frenzy infects the UK

IDG UK Sites

VAT MOSS: Will I be affected by the EU VAT changes? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers