We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A warning for anyone using BT.

ams4127
Resolved

Likes # 0

I received an email on Friday purporting to come from BT. The reason it caught my eye was that it had been addressed to "Dear Customer" instead of my name. It informed me that my bank had declined a payment due to lack of funds and asked me to update my bank details.

I have phoned BT and told them. They were unaware of the scam and have said they will warn people about it.

So, be on your guard!

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

There are a number of fraudsters misusing the BT name right now and with fairly convincing web pages. I recently reported a similar one to BT who were pretty much on the ball at assessing it and getting it removed. As fast as one is removed another pops up--maybe a sign of hard times for the criminals

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Got one today purporting to be from Talk Talk, it was very convincing, even using a Talk Talk employee's email address.

I sent it to Talk Talk's abuse team, and reported it to Google (I have a gmail account)

I think the usual rule applies, you will never get an email from any reputable company asking you to update details like this, so never ever click on a link in this kind of email.

One tip though, in case you are inclined to click the link anyway, hover your mouse over the link and your software or webmail page should reveal the link address, if it's anything other than www.bt.com or www.talktalk.net etc then delete the email straight away...

Like this post  
frybluff

Likes # 0

At least BT seem to actually be doing something. I've lost count of the number of these I've reported (as sites ask you to do), and yet, virtually never even get an acknowledgement, let alone "Yes that was fraudulent, don't worry they're talking rubbish. We're not about to ...."

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...