We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New MOT test for 2012

carver

Likes # 0

Only just seen this http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/legal--motoring-advice/2011-12/new-mot-rules/ and just wondered how many motorists are going to have their car fail because of say a dash board light not working or even a trailer/caravan electrical socket that doesn't work.

A woman I know has been driving for the past few months with the Electronic Stability Control light on even thought it is working so her car will fail.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

Looking at the changes I agree 100% with them.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

*Seats It must be possible to secure the driver's seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism in two or three different positions. On electric seats the motors must move the seat fore and aft.*

So that's my Father-In-Law's Morgan failed, the driver's seat is fixed and the peddle box moves fore & aft

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

I can see nothing to complain about. All sensible, safety related, requirements.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I agree. The only people who should worry are those who have been ignoring lights etc. And I know several who have been doing so!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

But lights have been tested for donkey's years! Doesn't stop the bulb failing the next day.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

One interesting new requirement that will lead to thousands of failures is working washers for cars with High Intensity Discharge lights (those Xenon lights that dazzle you).

I've got them on my car (manufacturer fitted) and wondered why the car also had funky pop-out headlamp washers that squirt the lights every other time I wash the windows, well it seems that washers are a requirement as dirt on the lamps can lead to dangerous light diffusion.

There's loads of people with after market xenon lamps, because it's reasonably simple to fit the new lights, but I doubt that many people also go to the expense and time consuming work required to fit washers to the new lights...

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

While the government are it, perhaps they should consider a revision on road repairs and speed safety devices, that council's seem to introduce on a regular basis.

My vehicle was due for an MOT the other day, and it failed on a 'dodgy' rear spring and exhaust end box. My friend who owns and runs a garage with MOT facilities, showed me a skip with quite a number of 'under-body' parts that had been damaged via road humps and potholes etc. He said that his testers were failing more vehicles for this very reason, and perhaps the worse part, is that this damage is not being picked up until the MOT is required?.

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

There are a number of inaccuracies in that article,in the 4th paragraph he states This means that if you have any of the following problems with your car you've got until the first MOT renewal date after 1 April 2012 to get it fixed. The following failures apply now;-

Ball joint dust covers are now a fail if they allow the ingress of dirt

power steering fluid level below minimum

products on a light lens eg tinting reducing the light output

Insecure battery

Drivers seat adjustment

door opening controls, hinges and catches

missing cat converter

The other items will be applicable from April fools day.

you can view the mot testing manual here

Like this post
mark2

Likes # 0

spuds

I'm seeing many items such as you describe, most are not being picked up until mot time as service schedules are being ignored (owing to lack of funds) nowadays.

Extended service intervals also can cause problems too.

a visit to an mot tester's blog shows many examples.

The current thoughts of the government moving to a 4-2-2 testing period will see many more examples of the above

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Perhaps an add-on to the subject of future MOT's!.

Not sure if a guideline as been circulated to MOT stations, but it would appear that some MOT examiner's are now advising about replacing tyres after five years, due to tyre 'degrading' whether used or not.

In 2000 it was a requirement that all tyre manufacturer's date stamped tyres with the year of manufacture. Somewhere on the tyre (after 2000) you should find a mark (as examples) like 2107, 1504 or whatever. The last two digits in the examples would mean 07= 2007 or 04= 2004. The first two digits would mean the week of the year manufactured, so 2107 would mean 21st week of 2007, and 1504 would mean 15th week of 2004.

So if your vehicle as tyres showing a date stamp of 0107 or before, then the MOT examiner might suggest replacements, even though the tyres look very sound and roadworthy?.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...