We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

cd tray keeps opening

Chrissie228

Likes # 0

Hi there! A different problem here with CD tray. I insert a disk - click on E drive and have message 'Insert disk' - then drawer opens. Anyone had this problem/know how to fix? Was working perfectly last time I tried.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

It sounds as if either the CD drive is not registered as E; drive or the CD disk is not recognized.

Silly question: Are you putting a DVD in a CD drive?

Try the following, if you are on XP (unsure about window 7.)

Press the START and BREAK keys together to bring up the System Properties box. Select HARDWARE, then DEVICE MANAGER

Find the CD drive entry and right click, select uninstall.Close by X in right corner

Reboot machine and your system will now find the 'New' hardware and re-install it.

Open my Computer and have a look at the drive letters and try to open /close the CD drawer.

Terry

Like this post
Chrissie228

Likes # 0

Hi Terry Big THANX for speedy response - have just read your possible solution - bit late now for a not-very-computer-literate - will try your suggestion tomorrow and let you know how I got on.

Like this post
Chrissie228

Likes # 0

Hi Terry. did exactly as you said - though 7 is slightly different. All messages said - drivers up to date - device working perfectly. So, what next? It's under guarantee - take it to PC World - £20 for sign in/diagnosis. Fixed - collected next day - problem? Some little person had jammed a copy of Shaun the Sheep well in to the interior of the machine. A lesson has been learnt! thanks for your help - but may help others to search further than the obvious.

C

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...