We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which PC provider?

JeffDH

Likes # 0

I am looking at buying a new desktop system. I have an old mesh going on 5 yrs or so running XP. I know know Mesh went into administration and were bought out. So I am wondering which companies are reliable? I am looking at a spend of 500-600 can be a bit above. Needs to support firewire. Will be used for digital imaging and videos mostly and office etc.

Thanks Jeff

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

You pose a question which is almost impossible to answer!

Your best bet is to look at the manufacturers whose machines are reviewed in this (and other) magazines.

The problem is that, regardless of the maker's reputation, you might just get the one model which gives problems and that, to you, would destroy your faith in that company. Yet everyone else swears by them.

I'm afraid the old saying "you pays your money and makes your choice" is the only way to go.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Agree with the above comments. Look for reviews, and base your own opinion from them. You can always come back to the forum, and ask for further help or advice on any computer that seems to fit the bill and budget.

Whatever you decide,or where you purchase from, make sure that the warranty is insurance 'ring-fenced', or pay by credit card for future protection.

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

You don't say how much you want to spend!!

Novatech have a good reputation and If you talk to them I'm sure they would incorporate a firewire card; their standard configurations don't seem to have this feature.

A Core i5 processor would be Ok for video and if you can run to it an core i7 processor even better.

You might also want to investigate a good local company with custom that will make custom pcs.Roughly where do you live?

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

We all have our favourite suppliers and mine is ebuyer Click Here and they have a number of PCs in your price range. Nothing wrong with Googling Amazon either or if you want to play really safe then Dell.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

100and thirty

You don't say how much you want to spend!!

Look again;-)

Like this post
100andthirty

Likes # 0

Oops.. screw head back on and read OP's post properly!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

What's the best smartwatch? 11 iWatch rivals compared in our wearables round-up

IDG UK Sites

App cloning: the mobile software industry’s hidden shame

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features