We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screwed by BT (again)

Covergirl
Resolved

Likes # 0

I had to cancel the phone line and broadband for an elderly relative as she has now moved into a residential home and will be selling her house.

£30 to cancel the broadband and 30 days notice to cancel the phone line - 30 days which has to be paid for whether using it or not. After having been screwed for years paying BTs line rental charges and probably the most expensive home broadband in the world, they want more to cancel.

And after examining the elderly aunts phone bill, I feel she'd have been better served with a "Anytime Calls" bolt-on. £60+ for her daytime calls while she was on an "evening and weekend" package - you'd think they would have told her, wouldn't you?

To add insult to injury, the BT Customer Care person was VERY persistent that I transferred the line, broadband and number to the residential home. Not possible I said, but he would insist and insist until I started getting slightly annoyed with him. Hopefully that was recorded on one of their "recorded for customer services reasons" recordings,

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 1

Perhaps in answer to some of the comments?.

BT like most service providers have various terms and conditions (small print) that most customers never read (I usually don't).

BT will not provide (like most service providers) an information service, unless it is usually in their favour or perhaps a regulation/service alert. Years ago, when the GPO/BT had the monopoly they had the 'Low' user tariff/rate, which some people were able to obtain a refund on calls, if it was below the line/service rate. Many various rates and supposed short term incentives nowadays, have or are proving very confusing for the public to understand. I suppose that you can put this down to 'Good Marketing'?.

With regards to the BT Customer Care person's persistent manner, he might have been trying to 'screen read' BT's terms and conditions, by suggesting a transfer. The ISP I use will do this for free, otherwise a fee will be charged. What I would suggest, is look at the contract start and finish date, and see if this contract is in force. Quite a number of cases, the contract comes to an end, and the service provider continues with the service on a 'rolling' basis. In which case the customer is at liberty to cancel at anytime without penalty.

Like this post
tigertop2

Likes # 0

I heard somewhere that rolling contracts for broadband are illegal now or about to be made illegal. They must give give you notice that they will renew unless you do something to end it

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

tigertop2

When my original contract came to an end, I let the contract 'roll', and after seeing that the company was offering a better deal, I signed up to that. When that contract expired, I was informed that they would continue the contract on its present terms, and I could cancel at anytime, without penalty.

They then followed this up with a special offer of three months at half price, and the following nine months at the full previous price. Due to the fact that I didn't want to be held to their 'new' contract I refused their offer, and left the previous contract to 'roll', otherwise I would have possibly left them for another ISP.

The advantage that I have found, is that I had a number of service problems, and when mentioned that I was on a 'rolling' deal, they seemed to be more customer friendly. Not that it really mattered, because Trading Standards had already advised me that the service was 'not fit for purpose' , and as such I could cancel any contract I had with the ISP, without due concern!.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Yes spuds - all your points are valid.

I've no problem with them apart from the cancellation fee and 30 days notice.

It just feels like after many years loyal subscription at top prices, they still want to screw you for every last penny.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

Covergirl

I fully agree with you, loyalty doesn't count for anything nowadays. And the biggest concern from all this, is that some company's actually agree with this!.

The company's and staff only seem to get very concerned' is when the administrator's move in?.

Like this post
Pine Man

Likes # 0

Covergirl

You haven't mentioned the details of your elderly aunts contract with BT.

I have no time at all for BT and haven't used them for some time now BUT if your aunt was tied into a contract which requires 30 days notice I don't really see a problem.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Pine Man

No special contract, just normal phone which she added BB onto a couple of years ago.

I've no problem with contractual obligations - just the fact that they want every last penny they can get from you. After all, they charge just about the top price for everything.

And the fact that they didn't advise her to take an "anytime" package. And the fact that they insisted on transferring the line to the residential home.

Rant closed. I'm taking off my Victor Meldrew cap now in preparation for a nice crisp weekend LoL.

Like this post  
finerty

Likes # 0

Covergirl they did this to me however we paid the full amount we owed about to weeks later they sent us a cheque claiming we had over paid them and this was a part refund.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

If (like me) you are fed up paying high charges and a connection fee, have a look at First Telecom http://www.firsttelecom.com/ . I have used them now for about 4 years and there is no difference from BT or Virgin apart from the price.

Terry

Like this post
bemuzed

Likes # 0

Whoever you work for has fair T&Cs which customers think unfair

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?