We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PHISING E-MAILS

frybluff

Likes # 0

Many sites request that if you receive a "dodgy" email, purporting to come from them, you should foreward it to their "spoof" dept. Does anyone know if they actually then do anything? I have received several such emails, claiming to be from HMRM, requesting my details to claim a tax refund!! I have, as requested, forewarded these to HMRC, but have not even had an acknowledgement. And the emails keep coming.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

A long time ago I did get an acknowledgement from if I remember correctly paypal. But banks, HMRC get inundated with these things and try their best to sort it out but there isn't much they can do but alert people an warn them to be careful. I wouldn't bother reporting it. Did you open it to forward? I wouldn't open them but immediately delete.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I report the ones purporting to come from my own bank, at their request, and invariably get a response.

I never report any others.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

On 99% of the time the 'Report an email' is just a way to confirm you are a 'Live' address and you will get even more spam.

just Delete.

Terry

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I know not to open attachments, or click on links, in emails, unless one is SURE they are genuine, and from a trusted source. Is there any risk attached to READING suspicious emails? Often, without, at least, reading them, it is difficult to judge their validity. My filter is pretty good, but it does occassionly consign genuine emails to "junk", and visa versa.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"'Report an email' is just a way to confirm you are a 'Live' address and you will get even more spam."

Are you seriously suggesting that every time I forward a phishing email to my bank they sell my address on to other phishing sites?

You really do have suspicious mind!

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Morddywyd

I said 99%, not every time, If it is a site you trust(like your bank), then yes - send feedback, however if I am not sure who it is then I delete it.

Terry

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I think the HMRC phising email box is just a collection point, and they then just count the emails every now & again to see how active the spammers are.

I wouldn't expect any kind of acknowledgement from them...

Like this post
frybluff

Likes # 0

I do wish that sites would at least confirm that a forwarded dodgy email WAS fraudulent. Whilst phising emails are pretty obviously that, and one is usually 99.99% sure they are, one can still be left with a "nagging doubt". A response of "you were right to delete it", can be reassuring. I must have received a dozen such, in the last year, and dutifully reported them. I have only once even received an acknowledgement. If sites ask us to report such emails, they should, at least, be confirming that the contents are "bogus"!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks