We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Comet gets a rocket from Microsoft

TopCat®
Resolved

Likes # 0

Accuses it of producing and selling counterfeit Windows software to their PC and laptop customers. A statement from Comet is awaited.

If the charges are proven, then this would mean very serious trouble for the company, right? TC. newsstory here

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 1

Surely the point here is that a computer manufacturer is permitted (by Microsoft) to provide a backup disk if requested by the customer.

Comet is a retailer and is not allowed to do so.

That IMHO is where they have come unstuck.

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

"How they will justify £15 per disc we will have to wait and see"

When a importer of a product can charge £5.00 for two sheets of A4 photocopied paper, as a replacement for a lost instruction form, then I suppose it comes down to the 'going rate' and anything goes?.

Medion did that with me, and also accepted the warranty on the product, then voided it the next day, because the item had been classified as second- user (second-hand), due to the retailer (Staples) placing the item on display in their store.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Microsoft stopped supplying discs to save money but to also get us over a barrel now they see Comet has stepped in and shown them up and possibly made a small profit they don't like it. You have to aske why they stopped supplying the discs in the first place. I don't understand thios world nowadays. When I buy a product i presume i won it and can do what I like with it, evidently that is not the case. I have been thinking of sueing Microsoft because I bought a laptop with Vista on it which was the worst OS ever and had to buy W7 to replace it.

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

I can see both sides of the argument, but I find it remarkable why purchasers of a computer cannot make a backup copy of the Factory Image themselves. Every computer I have bought in the last 8-9 years gives instructions on first bootup how to burn a disc(s) as well as setting passwords etc. I can see problems with a netbook which does not have a DVD/CD burner, but it could be put on a USB stick or USB hard drive.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

brindly

You own any PC you have bought, and you can do whatever you like with the hardware.

The software is a different matter, you only have a licence to use the software, you cannot make unauthorised copies, redistribute, or decompile the software. The copyright and ownership of the software remain the property of the software company, be it Microsoft, Norton, Adobe or who-ever.

Microsoft stopped shipping Windows CDs with PCs for a couple of reasons, the main one was that it was making it all too easy for people to make a copy of the OS disc and give it to their mates. If the licence key was rejected on installation it was a simple matter to contact MS on an 0800 number and answer a few questions to get a new key.

The other reason was that they're largely a waste of money, few people ever used them, most were lost before they were needed, and it's relatively easy to back up your own custom installation onto a DVD or two which will get your PC back to how you like it rather than how Dell or Packard Bell etc ship it full of crapware that you remove as soon as you turn it on first time...

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

brindley

Let us know how get on suing Microsoft

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

The Factory Image on my HP computer has very little crap on it. The last time I restored to factory settings after installing various software I use regularly eg Firefox, AVG, Mailwasher and the like, I made a backup copy of the system files using Acronis TI to a folder on my USB hard drive. This means I can get my basic system up and running within a short space of time if it should go pear shaped or is starting to play up due to being an old system. I also make a backup of my system on approx. a monthly basis should I pick up a virus etc. or software that is playing up or proving difficult to remove. All my data, downloads, video and audio files etc. are on my USB drive. Having a large internal HD it is partitioned and a backup of the data etc. on my USB drive is backed up to the internal drive should the USB drive fail catastrophically.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Guardian Article

More detail in the Guardian

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Very interesting...something I shall follow closely.

Like this post
ajm

Likes # 0

As far as I can see, Comet is offering a service and rightly charging £14.99 for it.

A customer buys a PC/Laptop that has a hidden partition with the recovery software and as a service, an IT provider or IT retail shop offers to make the recovery cds and charges for the service that as customer can either accept or decline.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...