We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:


PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice


It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion


 

Vista support ending, W7 "not that far" behind and a W8 question.


mooly
Resolved

Likes # 0

I see that Vista "mainstream" support is ending this April.

http://support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/search/default.aspx?sort=PN&alpha=Windows+Vista&Filter=FilterNO

What actually is "mainstream" support ? as "extended" support is also mentioned.

W7 follows in only 3 years and yet W7 is (naturally) still being pushed hard.

When W8 is getting near for general release do you think PC manufacturers will offer the option of a "free W7 to W8 upgrade disc" as has happened before ?

And I also wonder if you will be able to clean install from that as you have been able to in the past with W7 and Vista. Having witnessed just how good "clean installing" can be compared to an upgrade route or a PC burdoned with "bloatware" that would perhaps be an ideal time to consider a new PC/Laptop.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

There is a fair amount of confusion over this. This may be helpful What does end of support mean. In this article it only lists end dates for XP SP2 and Vista SP1. But it also indicates that support (security updates) for XP SP3 or XP SP2 (64 bit) will continue until 2014. It is reasonable to expect Vista SP2 to continue beyond that especially as no end date is given.

MS are less than clear about this probably deliberately so.

Like this post
MadBob

Likes # 0

Even on that link you were given..

  • Extended Support is not offered for Consumer, Hardware, Multimedia products or Microsoft Online Services.

  • What is the Security Update policy?

Microsoft has not changed its Security Update policy:

"Business and Development software

Security updates will be available through the end of the Extended Support phase (five years of Mainstream Support plus five years of the Extended Support) at no additional cost for most products. Security updates will be posted on the Microsoft Update Web site during both the Mainstream and the Extended Support phase.

Consumer, Hardware, and Multimedia products

Security updates will be available through the end of the Mainstream Support phase."

That isn't very clear it should say

"Security updates will be available through to the end of the Mainstream Support phase."

Ed Bott's article

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/how-long-will-microsoft-support-xp-vista-and-windows-7/2304

Home Premium and Ultimate don't get extended support

Bob

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I still think that MS will not end security updates for Vista SP2 for home users this year. Time will tell.

We beg to differ.

Like this post
MadBob

Likes # 0

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Difficult to envisage MS ending updates for Vista SP2 before XP SP3.

Like this post
MadBob

Likes # 0

I think they will extend the support. Probably announce it in April.

Bob

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

Your post is revealing in that a total of 82.59% of people are using a Microsoft system, which leaves 17.41% of people using a non-Microsoft system, or a pre-XP system

What was the percentages (say) 5 years ago.

Thank you

Terry

Like this post
danerd

Likes # 0

hi, you are wrong woolwell, support for CONSUMER VISTA SP2 ends april 2012, yes even before xp which ends 2014, only BUSINESS VERSIONS of vista sp2 will get EXTENDED SUPPORT till 2017.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

So I'm not wrong New thread Vista extended

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

Thanks for the link Woolwell.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.



IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback