We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Web Of Trust - How Reliable

Input Overload

Likes # 0

Having used WOT for some time I am becoming more & more cynical as to its usefulness, today after clicking on an email link from PCA (RE: XP users leaving) which I opted in to receive, Web Of Trust gave this site a red warning.

I yet again gave my opinion of this site which is totally trustworthy, but I am really considering whether to uninstall WOT as it seems that people throughout the world are using WOT to further their unsubstantiated grudges & issues with sites that are harmless.

Do other members use WOT & if so what experiences do you have regarding WOT?

http://www.mywot.com/

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Try running without it and you will not be long turning it back on again.

Not 100% correct but better than none.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"it seems that people throughout the world are using WOT to further their unsubstantiated grudges & issues with sites that are harmless."

This person wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. It's a personal thing - I just don't see the point of using something that, as far as I'm concerned, is unreliable in a big way.

Like this post
Input Overload

Likes # 0

As I run the full versions of Malwarebytes & Webroot SecureAnyware I do get warnings of malware & phishing sites & as this site was rated as red I can only wonder what other sites have less than truthful opinions.

It was a good idea but this person has uninstalled it, & I can't see it going back on, I'll use the big thing between my ears.

Thanks for replies.

Like this post
johnathann

Likes # 0

I never heard of the word. But interesting to read.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Well all I can say even if WOT is wrong 25% of the time it must be correct the remaining 75% of the time.

So you have to ask yourself is it worthwhile having it and to me the answer is yes.

Why open bad websites if there is no need to.

True your Security programs may stop anything,But on the other hand they may not.

I have it and also have Avast WebRep running as well just to be in the safe side.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

I was under the impression that internet browsers these days were secure enough that, providing you didn't install and run any software from the sites, or run ActiveX addons, then the sites wouldn't be able to harm your computer?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If that was the case there would be no need for Security programs either.

I must admit I have been caught out before and maybe I am a bit careful to make sure it doesn't happen again.

To each their own.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

buteman

"If that was the case there would be no need for Security programs either."

That would rely on the user not installing / running dodgy programs / addons.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I dread to think how slow some people's computers must be when burdened down by all the the "security" software you seem to run.

I find that using the Windows firewall, an AV program, and a little common sense is all that's needed.

Personally I find Chrome does a pretty good job of fending off obviously bogus websites, the the "free" security package provided by Talk Talk does the rest of the work.

I did use AVG for a while, then I dumped it after it started scanning every link on a page to check if the next page was safe, this job took time and many CPU cycles, making dipping into a lengthy Wikipedia page with lots of links a very tiresome process...

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

alan14

Fair comment, But if I only posted on Consumerwatch and Speakers Corner like yourself I would probably be able to cut down the amount of security programs that I use.

Unfortunately searching the Internet trying to help people with problems is a bit hazardous at times so you need good protection.

Try it sometime and see how you get on.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S6 release date, features and specs rumours: When will the Galaxy S6 come out?

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...