We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Consumer Advice

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Illegal e-books

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Acoording to the Sunday Times, and estimated 20% of e-book downloads are illegal

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16376930 (Under the "Implant Scandal" byline!)

That's quite a proportion and must surely be affecting authors' incomes?

Since e-books also carry VAT can we expect HMRC to be taking more than a passing interest?

Like this post
jaraba

Likes # 0

Usually buy my books from local charity shops for 50p/£1 but glad I came accross this post as I was considering buying an ebook reader but if there is this problem with incompatability between formats I don't think I will bother.

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

There are conditions to bemet before I'll consider buying one of these readers:-

1) The price of the reader must fall to a reasonable level (ie Below £30).

2) My local library system must offer an extensive range of ebooks for free download.

One question....... What size is a typical ebook file?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Armchair

An average sized book (400 pages) would be around 5-600kb as an epub or kindle file, Mobi files for compatibility across multiple devices are bigger

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spuds

The EU antitrust proceedings are against Apple's iBooks store

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Having had a Kindle bought for me as a Christmas present I was quite pleased with it. My sons had put on five books that I have now nearly finished reading so I started searching Amazon for other books that I would like. I soon realised that I could spend a far greater fortune on e-books than I would spend on paper books. My main spend on books is at charity shops and I reckon that was about £120 last year and I also return them once read so that they can continue to get income from them. Apart from that I probably spent another £50 or so on other books. For a total outlay of £170 I had a good years worth of reading matter at a rate of 3 to 4 books a week. To achieve the same amount with a Kindle would be much more than I could possibly afford so I shall still be visiting charity shops for most of my reading. I shall limit the Kindle purchases for holiday reading and to catch up with a lot of the Classics that I haven't already read. Is it any surprise that users are tempted to go the pirate route?

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

What is the difference between a pirate download of an ebook, and a second hand book from wherever?

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

alan14

Cheers.

That's a second or two download time. Amazing, but no sale, yet.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Armchair

I think you will find that your county library already does ebooks.

I have had several from my library (online).

Like this post
Armchair

Likes # 0

ton

I don't think it does. It isn't listed

http://www.durham.gov.uk/Pages/Service.aspx?ServiceId=6194

and I've never seen any reference to it.

Like this post
ton

Likes # 0

Armchair

I thought that all county libraries would be similar.

Here is a link to mine http://essex.bookaisle.com/79EA6416-A7A2-4B77-9F8F-8B4B4F60049C/10/259/en/Default.htm

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...